cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Clientraw uploads  (Read 8898 times)

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
Re: Clientraw uploads
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2005, 07:18:15 PM »
That would be a Linux thing.   Sun, AIX, HP-UX, don't play those games...   Many patches if really needed can be done hot, no reboots necessary.

I'm surprised that you can do a kernel patch with the system still running. Or don't they issue many kernel patches?
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline daveq

• Hollywood, MD
    • Hollywood - St. Mary's County, Maryland
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2005, 07:23:36 PM »
Well I'm doing the rename thing and all is working well.  Even looks to be uploading much faster.  I don't know if it had anything to do with it but the past few days when I'd download the clientraw to my desktop it would transfer fast then sit there for a minute.  Now its FAST to download.  At least for the 21.6 I'm connected at right now.

Any other tricks???

--Dave

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Gremlins are at work...
  • Mesa, AZ
    • TNET Weather Station - Mesa AZ
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2005, 08:03:07 PM »
Except getting a high speed connection... not really.

The clientraw.txt basic file is only about 500 bytes long so it should not take long to send.  That is one of the purposes of it, to get the basic info needed to update a remote site without flooding the site with a ton of data.

I'm surprised that you can do a kernel patch with the system still running. Or don't they issue many kernel patches?

Actually, there are no real kernal patches done perse.   Platforms like Solairs are very stable, backwards compatible and designed to run in a 5 9's enterprise environment.  We just retired the last Solaris 2.6 boxes a couple months ago and have 2.7  2.8, 2.9 and 10 in full production with rare issues.

AIX is not as stable, has many OS updates, but for a main line server that was setup to do a task, you don't normally do OS upgrades just becuase they are available, you only update when you have to.

Security issues are minimized because most of these are inside a protected network.

One of the problems with Linux has always been that it is on the fast track for geewiz.... so they kept moving forward without too much thought of backwards compatiblity.  You would get a security update that then forced you to do a whole system upgrade because the new security stuff needed new versions of whole libraries.  This has changed quite a bit in that Redhat and others now have Enterprise level versions, but they still have a little too much updating going on.

All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

cumulus