Skype Weather Report

Hi,

It’s still very experimental, but …

If you skype me with contactname “skypeweer”, you get the spoken weather report of my weather station (in Dutch).

It’s too early to tell if it’s going to work ok in the future, but I think it’s a fun :D!

I’m using Skype, SAM, and of course WD.

I don’t know what SAM will do if someone calls when WD starts creating the WAV. I also can’t disconnect the call myself after playing the WAV, but …

Cu,
Chow

[Added] And now it stopped working … back to the drawing board :oops:

[Added] Hoped it was a stuck sound driver, or something like that, but rebooting didn’t help … stopping for today. Maybe I get it to work again tomorrow.

[Added] Looks like it is working again :smiley: … fingers crossed. Going to bed, hope it keeps working.

[Added] Couldn’t sleep :wink: … one hour later and it still works :D. WAV is updated, and SAM used the newer version.

I just called but the phone just rang with no answer.

Just tried it from way down under and its working just fine. Not that I can understand a word that being said :lol:

Well done!

working here too!
hey this is a neat thing me thinks !

It worked this time. The speech was a little distorted and tended to ‘ring’ a little, but I’d probably have understood it if I could speak Dutch!

Very cool. Need a How-To for this feature…please…

Well I found this link to SAM for a start (Skype Answer Machine) :wink:

http://www.freewebs.com/skypeansweringmachine/index.htm

Tnx to all the testers!

I will try to make a description of what I did. It isn’t really that difficult. I was yesterday evening very, very tired and still made it happen :wink:.

One problem is that Skype tries to be smart and so I had a couple of dialogues which said something like (I’m using the Dutch-version): “You phone a lot with ‘xx’. Should he be added to your contact list.” Very annoying, software which thinks it’s smart (opposed to software which just is smart, like WD :wink: :wink:).

I’m using Skype v1.3.0.45 and SAM v1.0.4.0. [Added 2005-06-18.]

Essentially, this is what I did:

• I made the speech-function to happen in WD (and nagged Brian for a couple of comma’s in the output of the tags :wink:).
  • Install Skype (didn’t even bother to configure the microphone part … I won’t use that part on this machine).
  • Install SAM. A link to the software is already published by 41south.
  • Assigned ‘SAM Virtual Cable 1 Out’ to ‘Audio out’ in Skype.
  • Told SAM to use the talkingnew.wav.
  • Told Skype not to answer calls automatically.
  • Told Skype to ignore all audio notifications. [Added 2005-06-18.]
  • Put Skype in ‘Skype me’-mode.

And that’s it. (If you want I can make a real FAQ in the near future …I’m not behind the PC the fun stuff is running on.)

I’m still thinking of creating automatically another WAV for SAM to use. I already use the WAV from my webpage. I also want to use the talkingnew.wav (or preferable a copy) in a programme which can answer my phone.*

BTW: On my webpage, I’ve put the spoken text in a TEXTAREA, so the spoken message is easier to follow (http//weer.khoe.nl/, choose ‘Diensten’ (‘Services’). Even for the Dutch, because the speech engine is reasonable, but not that great … well, it’s free, so I don’t complain.

As for the times it keeps ringing, I’m not sure what’s going on. Maybe my PC was busy, of someone was trying to call the PC at the same time as you.

Cu,
Chow

• [Added] All weather related stuff plus my server software is running on one PC.

Yea, this is the part I am not looking forward to tackling…:slight_smile:

Actually, the nagging part is optional :smiley:

If someone aborted listening to my system, just before you called, it won’t pickup. SAM is still busy playing the WAV-file, it seems :frowning:

Can you make normal outbound calls with Skype set for “SAM Virtual Cable 1 out” set for audio out and have audio on your call?

Set mine up then called you and I had no audio in my speakers. Is there a way to set it up so I can use it either way and not have to change the audio out settings? Still reading whats available but so far have not found an solution, thought maybe you already figured it out.

I think you should get sound anyway, because that’s comming in (Audio in). The problem might be outputting sound, I guess. I think I have to sit down and think about what really happens and how the components relate to each other.

Haven’t experimented with it, though. Was happy that it worked at all :wink: I’ll investigate, but I’m busy this weekend. I appear to need something of a social life (or something like that) and I need to test a new PC (will be my new video-editing system, I hope. Trouble is: my old video-editing system then needs to be configured as my videoserver and the old videoserver must in the future function as the PC of my mother and that PC … wel never mind … I’m quite busy this weekend).

BTW: changed my installation and configuration notes …

great loking custom screen theior chow :wink:

Tnx Brian,

It’s still a bit crowded (and maybe quite large … but less than 10K), but this is a very nice function, too. Pitty #3 to #10 aren’t available anymore due to -I understand- license problems?
And I’m still looking for a really nice background, but as you probably know: The Netherlands are quite flat :(.

It’s really amazing how much functionality you have crammed in one programme! And I intend to try it all … long time ago I had so much fun with software :smiley: Another amazing thing: WD slows considerably down from time to time to the point of not being able to handle the manual input smoothly … but that’s only within WD (and I’m using quite a lot functions already). At the same time other programmes on my PC’s keep on running just fine while WD is slowing down!

I don’t know if you used Skype before, but there is a test user …

Put Skype in Do Not Disturb-mode (DNB) and call ‘echo123’.

You get a nice computer lady which let you speak a test message for 10 seconds and than plays it back. If that works, Skype should be configured correctly.

Succes,
Chow

hi
email me about geeting the other custom screens to work :slight_smile:
slow down: you mean with windows not closing straight away?

Windows isn’t closing, WD isn’t (normally*) closing … WD just slows down to a speed you barely can use it. It won’t respond to keypresses or mouse clicks anymore. But as I said before. Not that strange, as you consider what WD has to do all at once. I really use a lot of WD’s functions (I think), so it’s constantly updating some file. Or more probable: a couple of files. After a while it just revives and responds again … so no problem!

At the moment I’m still exploring WD (I started about six weeks ago with my WMR928 and WD, WDL and Nexstorm) and I’m primarily busy trying all the fun stuff. I should be working on my wx-pages, but that’s more tedious than fun :wink:. And I should probably try to optimise all the file generation, file downloading and file uploading schedules. Also no fun task.

As for the “(normally*)”: now you mention it, WD closed a couple of times, while editting the CustomScreen. No warning, no error message … gone. As I didn’t lose any data I really didn’t mind and as far as I can tell it only has happened a couple of times with the CustomScreen-editting.

Cu,
Chow.

Yes, this works…until I set the virtual cable to SAM…then I have no audio. Trying to get weather-talker going again right now…

Bummer, I will investigate (tomorrow, I’m afraid). I have my ‘normal’ Skype-account on another PC, so making it work like that wasn’t really my intention …

I think we need another entry in the profile?! :wink: