Speech-function - conversion WAV-to-MP3 with Lame.exe

Hi,

I have the speech-function running. Every hour a talkingnew.wav is created. Ticked the MP3-conversion option with lame.exe. Lame.exe is in the programme-directory … there is nowhere a MP3-file to be found …

Anyone an idea?

TIA, cu,
Chow.

No one :frowning:

What file is lame supposed to convert? And is the wav file created before lame attempts the conversion? Just wondering if the cart is before the horse here…

[quote author=NorCal Dan link=topic=9443.msg68220#msg68220 date=1118776692]
What file is lame supposed to convert?

If it helps anyone - this is my setup (my sound card is disabled by the way so ignore the modem as an audio device!!!)

Even though the “upload mp3” box is ticked I found that WD was not uploading it so I had to set up a manual FTP as below. As I have the “hourly” update for file box ticked above it seems lame.exe runs at 1min57secs after the top of the hour creating the files, so I set the manual FTP for 5 minutes past each hour.

It may be quirky but it seems to work.

In My Case no .mp3 file is EVER created! I’ve searched the entire drive to be certain that perhaps it wasn’t being placed in an odd directory someplace… but nada, zippo, zilch! the talkingnew.wav file is created on schedule though… so it’s a mystery! Maybe it’s a Microsoft feature… to discourage mp3 use… now if Brian gave us the option for .wma I bet it would show up! (Not a feature suggestion Brian!! Simply poking fun at Microsoft!)…

where do you have WD installed?
c:\wdisplay or some place else?

WD is installed in the default location, but my datafiles and webpages are all in the c:\program files\apache\htdocs folder… that is where the talkingnew.wav file is properly created… I’m wondering if WD isn’t looking in the wrong place for the .wav file to convert??

my talking files are all in the wdisplay directory and not anywhere else - I guess WD looks in there when it want to convert the files???

it should be where you have wd installed, is where you will find the speech files…check there

I have all my files put into my web folder, including the talkingnew.wav file… I am able to tell WD where to put that file… I would have guessed that WD would look to that same location I had selected for the .wav file to create the .mp3 file…

So… where does that leave us? Do I need to have WD create the talkingnew.wav file in the WD folder then create some type of custom file transfer to move it into the web folder? Or would it be possible for you to have WD look at the location we chose for the talkingnew.wav file and have it create the mp3 file there?

I don’t think I told WD to save the talking file anywhere - I just let it save the talking files into the wdisplay directory. I could not get WD to automatically upload the .mp3 (possible because it isn’t in the webfiles location) so I just set up a manual FTP of the file every 5 minutes past the hour from the wdisplay directory as shown on my screen grab earlier in this post. It works.

I will try to do it as you have… but it seems like an easy fix for Brian. If he gives us the ability to choose where to put the wav file, it seems that WD should be able to look in that place for that file and then put the mp3 file in the same spot… but until he can look into it, or even if he wants to look into it, I’ll try it your way!

Thanks!

look at that…you are correct…if you change the file location from the default, then I need to get the lame conversion to know that!
i will do that today
then this old thread can be put to bed

hummm, checking the code, i have done that already
but because its a dos type program (lame.exe) it might not like spaces in the directory location
i will try just adding " " around that directory name and filename …?

[quote author=windy link=topic=9443.msg100313#msg100313 date=1134495154]
i will try just adding "

i have uploaded a new zip 10.30z, should be ready soon
but i see one report now that the new auto daylight saving/time zone does not work for that person

I have it installed now… what still confuses me is the wording you have on the talking setup page…

You have a button for ‘Select a file location’… I put in the location I want the file to be place…
Under that you have “Filename to use (you need .wav on the end)”… Do I need a .wav on the end, even if I plan on using .mp3?

I added the correct path, told WD to use a filename talkingnew.mp3… on the positive side, the file now shows up where it should! The webpage gets the link, though I did notice that if I choose a filename other than talkingnew.mp3 (such as talk.mp3) that while the file gets created with the new name, the webpage doesn’t appear to update itself with the new file name…

On the negative side… for some reason the resulting .mp3 file won’t play on any mp3 player I can find! If anybody wants to try and confirm this (perhaps I have something screwy on my end)… and now I get several files… one called newtalking.mp3, another called newtalkingnew.mp3 and a third called talkingnew.mp3 (which has now grown to over 4 megs!)…

Under that you have "Filename to use (you need .wav on the end)"... Do I need a .wav on the end, even if I plan on using .mp3?
thats your problem there you need to do as instructed the .mp3 is created from the .wav using the lame.exe program

i would say

Well, I’ve tried it both ways… if I put in ‘talking.wav’ as instructed to do so, WD creates 4 files… talking.wav, talking2.wav, talkingnew.wav and talkingnew2.wav… even though I have ticked 'create a .mp3 file (uses lame.exe), no .mp3 file is created nor does the webpage update it’s link to point to a mp3 file… talking.wav and talkingnew.wav are both 495kb in size, talking2.wav and talkingnew2.wav are both 0kb in size…

Something still isn’t quite right…

you might not have the update i did where i add " " around the path to the file directory for the command line switch for when the lame.exe is excuted
(try running a dos session yourself to try and get the lame.exe to work yourself
i.e run a dos window where WD is installed
then type
(replace speechfilelocation with your webfiles directory)
lame.exe’,‘-m m "’+speechfilelocation+‘talkingnew.wav’+‘" "’+speechfilelocation+‘talkingnew.mp3"’