Client viewer over the internet

greg, i think you have done a great job with your system tray temperature icon viewer.
(although it would not update for me from my values for some reason)
with your permsion, I would like to add those temperature number images to the system tray icon for the WD client viewer…

so how would I set up my machine as a web server? I would rather have realtime access to the info rather than load it up thru FTP.

jeff, if you are using windows 2000 server, its built in, but there is software out there to use…ryan put a post on the forum a long time ago about this subject…
but in wd, untick to use weather display ftpupd.exe, but tick still use for all other, under connections

and jeff, i have forgoten about tweaking teh temperature routine…

I’ll check for the post about running a webserver.

I am running XP Pro…so, if I do the ‘checking’ as you say…I have 2 further questions;

1. what port do I use to access the clientraw.txt
  2. where is it best to have WD save the clientraw file?

Update…

I am confused on what I have to setup…

• I have found a folder in my root C: directory that is called webshare, and it has a folder called “wwwroot”. What is this used for? Can I access it via the following http through the clientviewer using “http://ip address:port/webshare/wwwroot/clientraw.txt”?

i am no expert
the bit i was refering to was getting wd to just update the files and not ftp them…

Brian, Go for it I don’t mind you using them at all.

If your running XP Pro then IIS the Microsoft web server is part of this OS but you need to set it up. I’m in Florida on vacation but I can attempt to guide you through it. First off you need to install the software. Go to start menu > settings > control panel > add remove programs. Then select the windows setup tab. Some where in the list should be something like IIS or something like web server. Install this. Let me know when you get this done and we’ll go from here.

great, thanks greg
ah, so that is why you are so quiet on the forum, you are away on holiday…(heck i thought you thought that i was such a so and so you had walked away)
the daily sunshine hours should be working on the 3D grpah…
is for me…

and i will incorporate the icon straight into the program so no need to have as separate files, and i will have option to have the icon match the windspeed instead

No I’m not going anywhere. I saw the new 3d graph and I like it. Now it will be easy to look back and see the cloudy durations. The reason I haven’t been saying anything is everything is working, plus March Madness (the NCAA tournament) is in full swing. I’m originally from Kentucky and the Kentucky Wildcats are favored to win it all. We’ll see. I’m as nervous as a dog in heat but I hope we can hang in there and pull it off.

Brian ,
Did you say the traytemp is not woking for you?

yeah, i am using the example you gave, which is my data, lol
and i just get the NIA

i will also add these number icons to WD too…it will be a good idea

i am a paranoid bugger
if people are quiet, i think there must be something drasticly wrong, when the opposigte is the case, LOL

i have added this to a new client viewer verison, ready now
(and option to show the windspeed)
off to the party now, will add this an option to wd when i get home

Hi Brian. No need to be paranoid. I suspect the reason it is so quiet is
that most are like me, program chugging along nicely.
No problems here. LOL
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I just tried your URL from here and it works perfectly. Check the url and make sure it is correct and let me know if it continues to show NA. I need to add a bit of error reporting to the app. I have literally dozens of people at work using it. Its a good window to the world when you work in a building without windows.

I have installed the IIS component. (I must admit, working with this stuff scares me a bit since I have been running so reliably!) How tough is this to get going? Is it likely to mess things up at all?

If not, what’s next?

If you are runnning IIS be sure to keep up to date with security patches from MS.

I have been running IIS for 5 years and have never had a single problem. As long as you change the port that iis runs on its not as risky as running a server on the default port 80.

Now Right click on my computer > and select manage. Then select Servcies and Applications. Then Internet Information Services, then web sites. Right click on default web site and select properties.

Change the TCP port to something like 8081. This is waht I use and this is the number in the url you asked about in an earlier thread. Like http://12.213.334.33:8081/webpage.html

Next right click on default web site and select new > virtual directory. This will bring up a wizzrd. Point this virtual directory to the directory that houses your clientraw.txt file.

Take defaults.

When this is finnished you have a directory that can be accessed as a web file.

Let me know when you get this done and we’ll go from there.

I have it all setup and I have opened the port # in my router (although I am not sure that I have done all that is necessary). I assume that I can’t test from my local PC.

What’s next?

Do I access the clientraw.txt file by referring to the virtual directory and filename?

If you don’t mind post or email me your url and I’ll test it for you. It should look something like http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8081/directorywebfilesarein/clientraw.txt

greg, i have added the numbered icon for the tray to wd now
see under setup, options