cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Weather Web Hosting  (Read 18148 times)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
Re: Weather Web Hosting
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 11:24:52 PM »
The answer partly depends on how experienced you are with setting up and managing a website. Personally I'm very happy with my weather sites and webcams at www.e-rice.net for $20/year but he's a one man shop and I wouldn't recommend anyone to sign up there who is going to expect a lot of handholding or 24 hour phone support. He also specifically targets his business to hobby websites so I wouldn't put a business site on there although I''ve personally had fewer problems there than with the business hosting I use for something else.

Offline Zeke

• Gulf Shores, Alabama
    • Gulf Shores Weather Net
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
Yasou Niko.  I found a web host that supports both ASP and PHP.  While ordinarily this is not a hard task via a Google search, it is when you want to learn which large companies use their service; daily back up, alternative power, reliability etc.  Thanks for your thoughts. 
Gulf Shores Weather Net - Weather Gumbo for coastal Alabama.

Offline AMSS WebHosting

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2006, 04:08:16 AM »
So what is everyone looking for in webhosting for their weather site?  I can beat any hosting deal out there just let me know what you want.  Give me the URL of the company that hosting and I'll beat their price.  Shoot me an email at dblackmore@amsswebhosting.com

IT Farmer

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2006, 07:31:06 AM »
Well for sure I can beat that price you are beating.    :lol: .

http://www.dutch-digital-dynamics.com or drop me a mail on webmaster@theweatherzone.com

Keep in mind that the prices are in AUD so devide by approx 2 to get US dollars.

H.

Offline weatheroz

• Brendan
  • Jimboomba, Queensland, Australia
    • Jimboomba Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
So what is everyone looking for in webhosting for their weather site?  I can beat any hosting deal out there just let me know what you want.  Give me the URL of the company that hosting and I'll beat their price.  Shoot me an email at dblackmore@amsswebhosting.com

Interesting, very first post here, and you're just flogging your webhosting in it.

Undercutting anothers price just sounds like pure desperation, and shows that they might not be the only thing they're cutting the price on.

edit: fixed typos !
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 11:31:59 AM by weatheroz »

IT Farmer

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
Good point, and point taken.

My apologies, it won't happen again.

H.

Offline weatheroz

• Brendan
    • Jimboomba Weather
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2006, 11:35:08 AM »
Good point, and point taken.

My apologies, it won't happen again.

It wasn't you I was talking about. :)

btw, the Aussie dollar is about 75c US, not 50c US as your post implied... lot cheaper, and I believe your servers are located in the USA, aren't they ?

Offline carterlake

• Tom Chaplin
  • Carter Lake, Iowa USA
    • Carter Lake, Iowa Weather
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »
The answer partly depends on how experienced you are with setting up and managing a website. Personally I'm very happy with my weather sites and webcams at www.e-rice.net for $20/year but he's a one man shop and I wouldn't recommend anyone to sign up there who is going to expect a lot of handholding or 24 hour phone support. He also specifically targets his business to hobby websites so I wouldn't put a business site on there although I''ve personally had fewer problems there than with the business hosting I use for something else.

I just started hosting a second site through e-rice.net.

I mean, how can anyone here talking about prices beat $10 US per year?

WD; Davis VP2 6153; Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; Live NOAA radio

Offline weatheroz

• Brendan
    • Jimboomba Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 01:29:51 PM »
I just started hosting a second site through e-rice.net.

I mean, how can anyone here talking about prices beat $10 US per year?

Hardly seems worthwhile to go to the effort to gain $10 for a whole year, even if it is 10 US dollars! :)

How do these guys stay in business on such feeble margins.... great for the little guy to host his site, but how many thousands of customers do these guys need to make some profit ?

For people like yourself, $10 is great value. :)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 02:37:12 PM »
Hardly seems worthwhile to go to the effort to gain $10 for a whole year, even if it is 10 US dollars! :)

How do these guys stay in business on such feeble margins.... great for the little guy to host his site, but how many thousands of customers do these guys need to make some profit ?

For people like yourself, $10 is great value. :)

I've tried to figure out the business plan too  :? So far as I can discover e-rice is rents servers at ev1servers. According to ev1servers' website a basic server goes for $100 to $200 per month. Some users will be paying more than $10 but even so it seems to me that he needs about 100 users per server just to cover the server cost.

amsswebhosting appears to be a reseller of hosting from http://www.alabanza.com/www

IT Farmer

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2006, 09:44:35 PM »
It wasn't you I was talking about. :)

btw, the Aussie dollar is about 75c US, not 50c US as your post implied... lot cheaper, and I believe your servers are located in the USA, aren't they ?

Yep they are based in the US, Seattle to be precise. Several reasons for this, one is mainly the bandwidth from Aus to the rest of the world Aus is a bit of a bottleneck.

Well how do these guys make money? Most do not and they appear and disappear quickly. 

In my case relative simple. Hosting is not my main line of business, it is a side line of my consultancy company same applies to web designs etc. something I do and what I cannot do I outsource. I have the benefit that I have some big companies as hosting customers who have their sites hosted on the hosting servers so they pay up to my break even point.

The work I am doing is all over the globe so some centralisation of UML models on a web server is ideal, hence the hosting requirements this service is paid for by the companies I do consultancy work for and I do not have to run a server in the office. (I got the support people of the hosting company looking after the servers 24X7.)

That leaves me with some spare capacity to sell. My business plan on that is:
- Mum and Dad type hosting I do not make money on what I charge is taken up by looking after their webpages.
- Volunteer organisations I do not make money on and even provide free services for them. (eg firebusters.info nswrfs)
- Small and medium business I make money on.

This is why I have domains for 2 odd dollars pm if you want third party domain names eg dayboro.theweatherzone.com It is just to provide some webspace and play area for people who do not want to pay a fortune.

It works for me like this. Do I get rich of it, naaa.     :lol:

Offline lknweather

• Lake Norman, NC, US
    • lknweather
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 11:48:26 PM »
Life has taken me away from keeping up with Weather Display for quite a few months now, but it has been happily going on without me. I have a number of people checking my website each day. However, within the past month Weather Display has started multiple FTP sessions at the same time causing my webhost to think I am involved in some type of denial of service attack and blocks my IP.

That is not my problem, or at least is not my main problem. My webhost has cancelled my account and I need to move elsewhere. From the posts in this thread, are the two listed here still considered the best (e-rice or simple web that was listed in another thread)?

Thanks for any input....

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2006, 12:18:14 AM »
Hi there, been a while  :D

e-rice continues to work well for me.

Offline Rob D

• I have awoken!
  • Ruthin, Wales, UK
    • Ruthin Weather
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2006, 07:21:57 AM »
Well what a read on hosting!  #-o

Just thought I would mention this little hosting company I use in the UK called www.sniffhost.com, package start from £4.95 a year, yes a year! :D  The guy there gives you plenty of support and what he offers it better than most hosts that would charge you £4.95 a month.

So if anyone is needing a host for very little money choose www.sniffhost.com. :D
I like weather, but weather does not like me!

Offline ryan

• Chestertown, NY USA
    • http://adkweather.com
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2006, 12:08:39 PM »
Hello friends.

New announcement!

I just procured a new dedicated server and can again offer free accounts. Free weather related accounts with NO QUOTAS as long as it's kept weather related. (We can make arrangements for personal sites if you need one or if you have your own domain name to host.). WEATHER DISPLAY LIVE IS WELCOME. This is my own server so there wont be any of the problem I've had in the past on shared servers with WDL.

Instant Sign up
username@hostweather.com email address that will forward to your real email address.
NO QUOTAS
WEATHER DISPLAY LIVE IS WELCOME

Ryan
http://hostweather.com

if there are any ham radio operators familiar with qsl.net's free radio hosting this is very similar concept.

How can it be free? Well donations are always accepted :) I also have several paid customers that help offset the costs.

cumulus