does anyone know if i can use a davis FARS with my wmr 968?

I was wondering if I would be able to use the Davis FARS with my OS WMR968 thermohygrometer? If anyone has done this, please share with me how it turned out. As always, thanks for your help.

Anyone know? :frowning:

I am pretty sure I have read somewhere or heard that it fits. The question if it will fit is the key question.

[quote author=Vergil83 link=topic=8714.msg61222#msg61222 date=1113870880]
I am pretty sure I have read somewhere or heard that it fits.

I’ve not looked for the reference, but I think someone on the forum has done this with the non-FARS enclosure. I think you need to take the OS sensor apart to make it fit. I think the FARS enclosure is the same as the non-FARS version but with a fan attached, so if you can fit the sensor into one you should be able to fit it in the other one.

I can verify that you are correct concerning the non-FARS. I have done it and I did remove the OS “radiation shield” leaving just a narrow plastic cylinder the sensor is enclosed in. I then used tie-wraps or wire or something to suspend the sensor inside the Davis shield.

The only possible problem I might see is that the passive radiation shield I used had eight plates, so it’s deeper than the 4 or 5 plate ones on the Vantage Pro. As I remember the OS sensor was around 3" long (this was about three years ago and I’ve since switched to the Vantage PRO, so I don’t remember exactly how much spare room there was). Looking in the Davis catalog I see the passive shield I used (item 7714), but I don’t see a similar one with FARS, but I could be missing something. The passive eight plate one is also shaped different (more square) than the ones on the VP, so I don’t think you can just add on the FARS kit that’s made for the VP.

Unless someone else can verify one way or the other, your best bet may be to talk to a reputable dealer who has a lot of experience with both OS and Davis, and is willing to accept returns if their advice doesn’t work.