where oh where do I put my thermohyrogmeter?

I was wondering If anyone that has a OS WMR968 (or anyone else that could help me) could please make some suggestions to where I could place my theremohyrgrometer/what I could build or construct in order to make it successful. Right now, I put it in a wooden box with an opening at the bottom. (Yes, I forgot to put an opening/holes in the top :oops: #-o.) This weekend, I plan on adding holes in the top of the box, to let the air come in and escape. Also, I put aluminum foil around the outside of the wooden box (I’m not sure If this deflects or atracts the sunlight/heat), and If anyone could please help me with what I have done so far or give me any othere suggestions, that would be great. Thanks for all of your help.

Also, another thing to add…the wooden box with the thermohygrometer in it is located in direct sunlight, if that helps at all. Thanks.

I placed mine on the north side of my house . Under the about 6 ft. above the ground. The temp on my wr918 matches up fairly well with my VP pro with a fan built in.
Chuck

Hmmm well do you (or anyone else) think that the position that my theremohyrgrometer is in now is not good? Thanks.

Here are some ideas for you to consider: http://wxqa.com/shields.html

[quote author=NorCal Dan link=topic=8677.msg60909#msg60909 date=1113425036]
Here are some ideas for you to consider:

Anyone else? Thanks.

Hi,

To be technically correct the sensors should be placed in a Stevenson Screen between 1.3 and 1.5 metres above the natural ground area prefferable grass. the screen should be “in the clear” that is a ratio of 10 times (I stand to be corrected here dont have time to check it just now) the height of the sensor away from other objects. A search of the internet will give you all that detail. I have noticed recently that stevenson screens occasionally come up on E-Bay. There is a standard for these screens, but as mentioned above there are also many derivatives. It depends on how detailed you want to be. Personally I strive to have my data as accurate as possible I see no point in publishing eroneous data, but having said that my sensors are mounted at approximatly 3 metres due to site limitations, however my readings compare well with other amatuer and official stations located in my vicinity.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Geoff

Lots and lots of very good, very detailed information:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

(Pull up a chair and have a good read.)

Thanks carterlake, don’t have time right now, but sometime this weekend will have a look. Thanks. Anyone elses help is greatly appreciated.

One thing I’m sure of; that wooden box you have it in is much better than just having the sensor in the open.

As long as it keeps the sensor out of direct sunlight and gets plenty of air flow it should work pretty well. I used one for a while and I also drilled holes on the sides trying to angle them up from the outside so that the sunlight wouldn’t hit them (I was a little concerned about reflection from the snow though).

I also painted it white. The aluminum foil is an interesting idea, but I think it’s probably better to just use insulating material such as the wood. I don’t know exactly what the effect would be though.

Mine actually seemed to be pretty accurate.

I removed my OS WMR968 theremohyrgrometer from the OS radiation shield and mounted the theremohyrgrometer in a Davis radiation shield (http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=7714). I then mounted the Davis radiation shield in an area that has shade all year.

If I was going to do the above again I would use a Davis Solar-Power Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield (http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=7755) and place the unit in a more convenient location.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I was wondering if anyone has used either of the radiation shields that CaptDilli mentioned and I would like to see how you like them. I’m still not sure if I am just going to drill holes in the wooden box I made, or buy either one of the radiation shields (I would probably buy the radiation shield with the fan if I were to buy one, although I’m not sure how hard they are to put together). Thanks for all of your help again.