I will be visiting the UK , Ireland. and Germany in April !

Hi

I sure hope that as many people as can make it can get to visit the UK weather shop, in eastborne, for the weekend after easter :slight_smile:
They have a big promotional opening weekend, and a TV station will be there, and Micahel Fish, and , well, me too, LOL
The UK weather shop are sponsoring me to go over there, so i hope everyone supports them on the weekend and into the future!
After that we (the wife and I) wil be hiring a car and travelling up through the UKā€¦we are planning on visiting Julian, Bob and Chris
Anyone else in the UK able to put us up for the night?
We will end up cathing a Ferry to Belfast, up on the border with Scotlandā€¦

I will still try and reply to emails and forum posts when I get to use the internet and various placesā€¦and I will have access to my PC , so i will still be able to do some quick fixzes or changes to WD :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll also be in Eastbourne for part of the weekend after Easter, so I hope to put a few faces to names whilst Iā€™m there. I always assumed Iā€™d never meet Brian with him living 12,000 miles away in NZ, so itā€™s great to have the opportunity to say thanks to him in person for making WD what it is today :smiley:

Who is Michael Fish?

One of the most famous TV weather reporters in the worldā€¦well the UK at least! See http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/forecasters/michaelfish_faq.shtml

dont worry, I had to ask that same Question myself, LOL :oops: #-o

What that link does not tell you is that it was Michael Fish who in October 1987, when asked by a viewer, said ā€˜donā€™t worry there is not a hurricane coming tomorrowā€™ and guess what happened the following day - yes 100mph winds and all :roll: Worst weather probably at that time in living memory, a once in 300 year event it was described as.

Oh and Brian Iā€™m not sure you should ask him about that when you meet him :wink:

The story of Michael Fish and the ā€˜Hurricaneā€™ is told hereā€¦ http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/forecasters/michael_fish_1987storm.shtml and it paints a different version of events than many people remember.

Ah, I was gone by the time he started on the telly. Looking at the bio I was amused to see " he took a sandwich course in Applied Physics at the City University", I had forgotten all about sandwich courses :lol:

and too think people still have it all wrong about that event even today!
the poor guy!

is ā€œsandwhich courseā€ some Britism I am unfamiliar with? I REALLY want to take that course :spam2:

A sandwich course is a university degree course where you do a couple of years in college then take a ā€˜year outā€™ doing a real job (related to your subject) to gain some real experience of your chosen career then go back to complete your degree course. Itā€™s not a ā€˜year outā€™ to travel round the world though. I did a sandwich course (in Chemical Engineering) and spent 12 months on an oil refinery doing energy conservation monitoring and design work.

Question:
so is the UK like what i see on Coro
and do people act like what I see on Coro?

I presume you mean Coronation Street. Well first you have to realise that this is ā€˜up northā€™, a lot of us ā€˜southernersā€™ regard anything north of Watford (just north of London) as a foreign country! Many of us ā€˜southernersā€™ think we should take a passport when travelling north of Watford, and a phrase book as well since some local dialects are a foreign language as well - Newcastle being one of the most extreme examples ā€˜up northā€™, and ofcourse the Welsh actually do have their own language (and even beat us at Rugby this year) :smiley:

Actually I think that most soaps bring together the worst of all and put it all in one place so you get a distorted view of life when looking form outside. I donā€™t believe Neighbours is true to Australian lifeā€¦ well maybe they are australians after all :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I presume you mean Coronation Street. Well first you have to realise that this is ā€˜up northā€™, a lot of us ā€˜northernersā€™ regard anything south of Watford (just north of London) as a foreign country! Many of us ā€˜northernersā€™ think we should take a passport when travelling south of Watford, and a phrase book as well since some local dialects are a foreign language as well - Essex Estuary English being one of the most extreme examples ā€˜down southā€™, and of course the Welsh actually do have their own language (and even beat us at Rugby this year) :smiley:

There are people I work with who sound like people on the Street. Itā€™s based in Manchesterā€¦approx 50 miles from me. As for people acting like people from the Streetā€¦everyone knows that the soaps are true to life, so yes everyone behaves like that every day round these parts.

yes, i meant coronation street
:lol:

so yes everyone behaves like that every day round these parts.
so your tongue is firmly placed in your cheek, yes? LOL

Hope you enjoy your visit Brian.
It would take me longer to go to Easbourne than to fly to Chicago or even LA, so regret I shall not be down South to meet you.
As for the language problem, if Newcastle dialect is difficult, there was a recent TV news program where there were subtitles when people from a nearby community were being interviewed. :slight_smile:
Life up here is approx 20 years behind that in Central and Southern England, but at least we have a chance to see the Northern Lights.

Cheers
John

so is the UK like what i see on Coro

Brian, you can see the view from the back of our house in the signature below. Do not know about you but I cannot see the ā€˜Rovers Returnā€™ :wink:

Cheers, Bob

[quote author=Bob link=topic=8435.msg58993#msg58993 date=1111680953]
Do not know about you but I cannot see the ā€˜Rovers Returnā€™

Thatā€™s cheating: you know the area!

It was a lucky guessā€¦I wasnā€™t 100% sure which way your camera was pointing!