To All You OS WMR 968 Users Out There...

I know this doesn’t really fit into this topic, but I wasn’t sure where else i could put it. Anyways, I have tries THREE times to find the right serial mouse extension cable to connect my OS WMR 968 to my Computer (CPU). The first time i bought one that connected to the USB port, the second one was DB25 Male/DB9 Female, and the last time (which i bought and returned today) was a DB9 Male/DB9 Female. I was just about 100% sure that the DB9 Male/DB9 Female would work, because I read online that it is the correct cable, but sure enough, it didn’t work. The one end would connect correctly into the CPU, but the other end wouldn’t connect correctly into the weather station console. If someone could please, please, PLEASE help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[quote author=NorCal Dan link=topic=8283.msg57157#msg57157 date=1110752951]
What connector is required on the console?

normaly all that is needed is what is called a serial mouse extension cable
on the station it will be a male plug, on the PC, it will be a female plug, which works with a serial mouse extension cable

That is exactly what I bought, but for some reason it doesnt work. Maybe this will help–the end that plugs into the station has two things (that look like mini bolts) on either side of the pins that blocks that end from connecting into the station.

they are screws which should screw into the holes either side of the console serial port to keep it securely connected - the same with the other end to connect to the PC as well.

cheers

I understand what you mean, but the actual thing that you plug into on the console ALSO has screws on either side, so that is the problem (since there are screws on both the actual serial cable and the thing on the console, they are the same size and prevents it from connecting/plugging).

Just cut them off ( both sides if you have too ) then just cable tie them together .

I am not sure about the connector on a WMR968 but I would have though it was the same as a WMR928N - there were no screws on the console itself- just on the cable connector - I pulled out the two knobs to retract the screws into the connector housing - plugged in the cable to the station then did the screws up.

any chance of a photo of the connector on the station console thay you can post here?

cheers

Hmmmm I’m afraid not, but for some reason it DOES have the screws on the console. Could you please tell me where you got your cable connector? Thanks

I ordered my cable from the same company that I bought the weather station from here in the UK. I think it is just a standard serial cable - but the serial port on your WMR968 sounds different.

do the two screws on the console have threaded holes in them so as to accept the screws on the cable connector?

Yes, the two screws DO have holes in them, so something could be screwed in.

then they should accept the screws on the cable - the same as the connection on the PC - did you screw the screws in ok on the PC connection?

does your cable look like this?

No, but it looks like this:
http://www.x10.com/electronics/allcategories/computers/networkcommunications/computercables/belkin_F2N209-06.html
By the way, the end on the left plugs into the console (or is supposed to) and the end on the right correctly plugs into the CPU

ah your cable appears to be an extension cable - that is to increase the length of the connection - I think you rather need something like in the picture I posted above. An RS232 serial cable with identical connectors at each end.

cheers

Ohhhh thank you soooo much. By the way, where can i buy a cable like the one posted above? Thanks for the help again!

I got that pic from amazon.co.uk - but any good computer store will sell them

Okay thanks, but what would be the exact name for a cable like that?

well amazon described it as a RS232 null modem serial cable - it has identical connectors at each end - you could print off that pic and take it to the store. Whatever connector is at the PC end also needs to be at the weather station end.

just a standard RS232 serial cable - not an extension or adapter.

a null modem cable is no good, make sure its not that…as that swap over the wires…
just a staight through connection, pin to pin, is what is needed (i.e serial extension cable) :wink: