Post A Picture of the Setup for Your Weather Station

Tim,

I would get a 12 foot pressure treated 4 X 4, bury 3 feet deep (pour in a bag of concrete mix and a bit of water to really set it)…

That should provide a solid base.

You should be able to mount the radio shack pole to the 4 X 4 using a couple of suitable U-mounts, Radio Shack will probably sell them as well…

However I would recommend either two radio shack sections or a section of fence top post, about 12 foot. This would allow you to have three feet of the pole attached to the 4 X 4 and a total height of 16 or 18 feet…

-Bob

[quote author=JaxWeather link=topic=8199.msg58351#msg58351 date=1111363005]
Tim,

I would get a 12 foot pressure treated 4 X 4, bury 3 feet deep (pour in a bag of concrete mix and a bit of water to

Generally 4 feet deep would be sufficient I would think.

I hate to say this but if you were to dig a hole set the post in it, said whewww been a long day I will finish this tomorrow and then came out after dark and just jumped a bag of concrete mix and some water into the hole and then just lay a couple of pieces of sod over it who would ever know?

Yeah… Yeah I know I can be a Bad Bad boy sometimes, I just hate rules that affect what someone can do on their own property that are totally unreasonable…

-Bob

[quote author=JaxWeather link=topic=8199.msg58353#msg58353 date=1111364018]
Generally 4 feet deep would be sufficient I would think.

Wellll… Ummmmm…

Lets see here it is a full 5 months after i got mine and I am STILL working on it LOL

No seriously I don’t have a VP but I had my La Crosse running and sending data to my computer the night I got it…

The next afternoon I had it set up outside and sending data to my web site (not live but sending data).

So it all depends on a bunch of things, digging hole 5 minutes to 30 depending on your terrain, sticking pole in hole 2 minutes… Nighttime excursion 30 minutes… mounting everything the next evening I would think 30 minutes LOL

Good luck and let us know,
Bob

[quote author=JaxWeather link=topic=8199.msg58359#msg58359 date=1111365024]
Wellll… Ummmmm…

Lets see here it is a full 5 months after i got mine and I am STILL working on it

Haaa… A guy has to be able to take a midnight stretch, even in an Association Controlled development :wink:

-Bob

Lol…I was wondering if you had any pictures of when you first started out with the setup of your weather station to where you are right now?

Sorry if I am being annoying, but I would just like to get some more ideas. Thanks.

Ohh you are not annoying me, if that is your concern…

The best i have are located here:
http://jaxweather.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4

However there were two modifications made today that I haven’t captured yet. I slotted the board that the rain gauge is mounted on, and raised the height of the mount, to facilitate the sliding down of the Anemometer pole as that will put the top of the pole at a reasonable height to access using a standard ladder…

The second was the adding of another “shield” to the pole with the thermo-hygro sensor mounted to further reduce direct sun light which I will have to evaluate for another couple of days before I say this is a final deal LOL

-Bob

[quote author=JaxWeather link=topic=8199.msg58389#msg58389 date=1111370060]
Ohh you are not annoying me, if that is your concern…

The best i have are located here:
http://jaxweather.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4

However there were two modifications made today that I haven’t captured yet.

Also one other question…since my house is two stories, once i complete the mounting/setup it will only be about 12-15’ off the ground. But my house is about 25’ tall, and the house blocks the N/NE readings. What do you think about this? Thanks.

Well…

There is another reason to Live here in the south, more one story then multiple story residences :wink:

(Oh and that OTHER reason the S*** word :stuck_out_tongue: )

I would have to refer you to others that are dealing with that problem as I only have trees and they are mostly southern pines which are 50 to 75 feet of trunk and then the limbs, and pine needles, at the top LOL

-Bob

[quote author=JaxWeather link=topic=8199.msg58394#msg58394 date=1111370994]
Well…

There is another reason to Live here in the south, more one story then multiple story residences :wink:

(Oh and that OTHER reason the S*** word :stuck_out_tongue: )

I would have to refer you to others that are dealing with that problem as I only have trees and they are mostly southern pines which are 50 to 75 feet of trunk and then the limbs, and pine needles, at the top

I heard that!

LOL…Nice one snowman. But seriously, is there anything I can do that you think of to prevent my house from blocking the anemometer? Thanks.

[quote author=aifan27 link=topic=8199.msg58458#msg58458 date=1111410294]
LOL…Nice one snowman.

Smooth dcoufal…I will defintely take that into consideration :wink: :D.
Anyways, I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all of your help.

[quote author=aifan27 link=topic=8199.msg58458#msg58458 date=1111410294]
LOL…Nice one snowman.

Sounds good…but our association does not allow us to put anything on our roof or any concrete. And since the person in charge of the association for our neighborhood lives across the street, and they check (association people) the backyards of people’s homes to try and nail you with a fine. Anyways, I will probably just bury the 4x4 post (either an 8’ post or a 10’ post) 3 or 4’ into the ground…Do you guys think this will be stable and work out okay? Thanks for all of your help.