Post A Picture of the Setup for Your Weather Station

I am trying to get a good idea of how/where i could mount my weather station, considering that i cannot mount it on my roof. I was thinking of buying two 10’ antenna masts from radio shack, but there is a problem…i live in townhouses and the backyards are fenced in and are only like .075 acres (literally). Also, my backyard is sloping slightly which makes it difficult to cement any masts/poles into the ground. If someone could please help out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Would anyone like to share their setup? :frowning:

You most likely have several options. I have my anemometer mounted on the roof and the VP2 ISS (instrumentation, rain gage, temp, etc) mounted to the rail of my deck so my set up won’t help you.

If the station is wireless, you could mount it to the fence with the masts. Not sure why a slight slope would stop you from cementing the mast into the ground. I’ve found the best way to do that is to find a “socket” that is just a little larger in diameter than the mast. It can be a metal pipe or PVC. Dig a hole about 30" inches deep, place the socket into the hole and pour the dry bagged concrete around the the socket. Pour water into the hole, the next day set the mast into the socket. I set the socket and concrete several inches below the normal ground level. That way if you have to move it you can just fill in with soil, plant some grass and it disappears. Also with the socket you can take the station down if there is a need.

I think 20’ without guy wires isn’t realistic. I would recommend something like snowman http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/46948 did, put a 4 x 4 post in the ground (even if the ground slopes you can use a level and get the post vertical) and attach the pole to that. Depending on the height of the post, and the expected wind where you are you could go maybe 15 feet height above ground with this set up.

I agree about the 20’ unsupported. I was thinking 5’ sections. I missed the 10’ masts.

I would also like to get my anemometer up higher - it is about 12’ at the moment so does get the wind quite well but obviously not as good as if it was on the roof. My instruments are not all together. Pics can be seen at http://www.martynhicks.co.uk/weather/wmr928n.html

Thanks for all the help guys…but i just remembered that i have one other problem. That the association for my neighborhood will not allow me to dig a hole in the ground and fill it up with concrete. I was looking at a telescoping aluminum pole show here: http://www.sk-mfg.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SMIOTBPBH&Product_Code=QTP&Category_Code=P
I think that is a great idea, considering that it is aluminum and it is only $50.00. Also, it is more square that round, so it would be easier for me to mount the anemometer onto it. I was also wondering, would it be possible to attach that to a wooden fence (such as nail/drill it to the fence)? If someone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

Midnight, dig hole, fill with concrete around sleeve, scatter dirt over top when done… maybe some grass clippings = done deal LOL

how strong is the fence - does it have sturdy posts?

That same pole was mentioned in another thread as being for sale at Walmart in the bird feeder area.

Consider using conduit clips from the electrical dept of e.g. home depot to fix it to the fence post. That’s a U shaped metal strap with one or two ears with screw holes. Come in a number of different sizes, you would need the two ear type.

The fence is strong enough (it has lasted for about 15 years), as it has gone through all of the hurricanes we have gotten, and of course some blizzards…so i guess you could say they are strong.

http://home.mchsi.com/~dsmweather/stationinfo.htm

Thanks for the help. I would like some advice on what materials/equipment i could use and i also have a limited budget (about 50-70 dollars). Thanks.

I have the luxury of living in a one story house surrounded by other one story houses… We do have trees, but many of them are 100’ + Tall Yellow pine trees which puts all of the major blocking way above any height I would worry about.

I took a 12’ 2 X 4 treated board dug out about 6 - 8" hole to stick the base in and then tied the top to the eve of my house.

I then took a 12’ fence rail top and mounted it with screw type clamps (could use “U” clamps as well, and about 10’ of it extends above the wood. Has been solid as a rock, your anemometer has a small footprint and weight factor as far as wind pressure against the pole…

Some pics are here:

Full shots are here:
http://wolfstalks.net/Gallery/Temp/P1300020
http://wolfstalks.net/Gallery/Temp/P1300022

Not pretty but it works and no one is complaining, but I also have no “Association” type rules to abide by uggggg…

-Bob

New in Sept 2004 - I purchased a proper radiation shield for the temperature/humidity sensor to replace the "rough and ready but functional" wooden shield I had constructed before. Still in a southerly facing location so temperatures may read one or two degrees higher on hot still days - I will see how accurate it is.

I’m a little puzzled by this picture. You say that the sensors are in a southerly facing location. If so, this means that your solar cell for the device is facing north. Is there any reason why you’re pointing the solar cell in a direction which will never see the sun?

So get a 4x4 redwood 8ft post. dig a 2ft narrow hole and put the post in the whole without cement. Using a flat ended pole, fill back in with dirt and pack it really hard.

No concrete and it should be good to go for a while.

My station location is temporary due to a new pool going in, and that is what I did and the post doesn’t move. the new location will have concrete though.

Thanks for the help…I’m still wondering if a 15-20 ft antenna mast strapped to my wooden fence would wave back and forth in high winds because it is so long. If anyone could give me some ideas and help me out, that would be great. Thanks!

The amount of movement will depend on the design of your fence (height and how well built) and the type of mast.

If your fence is well built and doesn’t move in the wind that’s a good start. If you mounted a 15ft mast onto a 6ft fence (with two fixing points near the top and bottom of the fence), i.e. 9ft of mast above the fence, then if the mast was 1.5inch thick wall aluminium I don’t think you’d get much movement. However, if you mounted a 20ft 1inch thin wall aluminium mast onto a 2ft high fence then you’d probably get a lot of movement (and perhaps a flat fence in high winds!)

I don’t get much sway with my unit. But If the base is firm, you shouldn’t have many issues. I would stabilize the sway with guy wires and ground anchors, two on each side of the pole and you will be fine.

[quote author=aardvark link=topic=8199.msg57004#msg57004 date=1110677951]
I don’t get much sway with my unit.