cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Solar display request  (Read 2983 times)

Offline 41South

• Colin
  • Miramar, Wellington, NZ
    • 41south.net.nz
Solar display request
« on: February 18, 2005, 07:27:10 PM »
Please add this to the list.....

For the solar % display I prefer a straight "sensor volts" % graph which is why I use the 'calculate % from raw compared to max'. Using this there should be no other factors affecting the % at all. I don't really care about any of the other factors, I just wish to display what is coming off the sensor. I know others running 1-wire solar sensors who have the same wish.

Thanks.
Cheers, Colin.

Offline ricky

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • Grey Lynn Weather
Re: Solar display request
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 09:28:38 PM »
A suggestion for modification that may help people with % issues at the beginning/end of the day...

maybe have an adjustable minimum for the calculated t/lat/long value that it can't drop below, then it can be adjusted by the user just above the minimum that their particular sensor gets fown to.. ie if solar max < min set then make solar max = min set ...
this would remove the nescessity to cut the reading to 0 at sunrise/set times, and every bit of sun would be caught

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
    • Weather Display
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 09:32:09 PM »
there is a new 10.22r zip ready soon where i have reduced that set to zero a bit more
and, there is now a degrees minute fine tune for the max solar for lat/long calculation in the solar setup

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
    • Weather Display
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 05:08:16 AM »
not sure if it will work, but try a new 10.22r zip download, and you can tick to do this, in the solar setup (down in the 1 wire solar bit)

Offline 41South

• Colin
    • 41south.net.nz
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 07:16:27 AM »
not sure if it will work, but try a new 10.22r zip download, and you can tick to do this, in the solar setup (down in the 1 wire solar bit)

No sorry it didn't work - I update the 'bug report' thread with screen shots.
Cheers, Colin.

Offline 41South

• Colin
    • 41south.net.nz
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 08:04:31 PM »
Well here is the result of two changes on my 1-wire solar sensor setup...

1. Changing the sensor from the supplied one to 2 x solar panels from some solar garden lights. See here for pictures of the mods
http://www.41south.net.nz/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=63&catid=3

2. Brians change to allow the raw % graphing for the 1-wire solar sensor as per this thread (thanks again Brian!)

The slightly "furry" start to the day is caused by a tree to the east of the sensor (that is soon to be pruned).  I'm still tweaking the max volts to get 100% but so far its looking very good.

If anyone is interested in the more technical details of the change please feel free to email or PM me.
Cheers, Colin.

Offline ricky

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • Grey Lynn Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 12:15:34 AM »
Excellent work  :)  I am interested in what you are using as the covering diffuser..?

yes those solar light panels are a very cheap solution, I have a single 6V panel here for mine, but two in the configuration you have would most likely work better..  I am electronically correcting for the cosc type response at ends of the day, not very well i might add lol

Offline 41South

• Colin
    • 41south.net.nz
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 12:41:52 AM »
Would you believe - Its an upside down plastic wine glass with the stem cut off  :lol:
Cheers, Colin.

cumulus