FTP Transfers to Web Site / Frontpage

First of all, I must confess to having very little knowledge of what I’m trying to do.

Hello Bob,

I am not a FrontPage user myself, however I do know that for FrontPage to see the files you have to somehow include them in your FrontPage web (I believe that is the term)…

However my question is why do you want to access them by FrontPage as any changes to them will be over written the next time WD uploads an update to that page?

-Bob

I use Frontpage (for my sins) - and even use it to FTP my weather pages as I use my own HTML on my website and not WDs default page. I also have other websites so Frontpage makes it all easy as it keeps track of what changes I make and uploads those changed files. And I also use a standalone FTP program to FTP any adhoc files!!! It can get complicated!!

I changed the webfiles directory location in WD to the weather subfolder in my Frontpage “web”.

all my webpage documents (weather and personal) are in a “web” directory set by Frontpage as Bob number 2(!) mentioned and it publishes directly to my webspace - but only if the “web” directory has been created. You can tell Frontpage not to publish (upload) certain files - so I set it not to FTP any of the files that WD uploads itself.

But as the other Bob says, if you are only using WDs default webpage then you can just let WD FTP all the files - you do not need to use Frontpage to FTP anything?? only if you actually intend uploading your own HTML or images to be included in your website? Do you intend to do that?

cheers

maybe, what is the url to the web site, and post here the ftp log (click on view full log though)

Thanks to all for your help!!!

Sorry to get you involved in problems I’m having because of my newbie status. My troubles are also being complicated by my lack of knowledge of FrontPage.

When I get home from work tonight (here in the eastern U.S., New Jersey) I’ll send the full log off to Windy (Brian?) and then look at the settings that I have applied to my Weather folder in FrontPage.

My web site is www.zindlegroup.com. I added a link to the Weather folder to the main page, but at this point the Weather link only has a copy of the files that I pasted there and is not being updated by Weather Display FTP.

Regards,

Bob

hi again,

you mentioned that WD is FTPing files ok according to the log - so is there a URL we can access where your updating weather page is at? (wherever you can see the files when you use IE to look at them?)

cheers

Martyn
You mentioned that you use Frontpage for your site. Any change you could post a basic guide to setting up a weather website using Frontpage? Something along the lines of “… a guide for the complete IDIOT…” ( the IDIOT would be ME #-o :? ) :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I played around with Frontpage for 30minutes or so 3 years ago. I have access to IIS on my LAN server, and would like to put my site up on my ISP provided space.

Mike

I am using front page now. I do not or need to do any FTP’ing with it how ever. Jus use it to build and load the WD elements to your pages, save in the website folder and you are down. I do not undrestand why you need to FTP with it?

I am trying to send the files to the www.zindlegroup.com/weather folder on my site.

Gosh, now that is a challenge Mike,
I confess to not being a total expert on Frontpage - there are probably many features I don’t use. And I know nothing about IIS on Windows servers - I leave that all to my ISP.

But I guess I could try and knock something up about setting Frontpage up to create a “web” for itself and to connect to an ISP or hosting server - does your ISP have Frontpage extensions set up for you so FP can connect and publish directly??

But it is over a year ago since I set mine up and I will probably have to retrain myself on how I did it. And needing to find time to do it - how much in a rush are you to have this idiot guide???

I know that somehow I got a “web” created in my documents and settings/…/my documents/my webs folder but need to recall how! I did enlist the help of someone else at the time as I was struggling too!

Unless there are any other Frontpage experts out there willing to help???

cheers

To RackyVegas:
I do not use Frontpage to look at web files directly on my webspace (I will use a separate FTP program to do that) - only to change files locally on my hard drive and then upload any changes. But it is possible to get FP to connect and directly edit files on your webspace - as long as your ISP server has Frontpage extensions installed?! Can you try and explain what you are trying to actually do with Frontpage in regards to your weather website??

cheers

Martyn,

The only reason that I have FrontPage involved here at all is because I used it to set up my original (lame) web page. My brother has a web hosting business and he gave me a free account so I put up a site using Frontpage about 1 1/2 years ago and barely touched it after that. Now I started playing with weather equipment and bought Weather Display the other day so I thought it would be cool to put the weather data on the existing web site. That is the only reason that Frontpage is involved at all.

Thanks for your help!!!

Regards,

Bob

Hi,

ok so do you only want the default webpage and images created by WD to be uploaded to your existing website?
If so then WD will happily do that with its own FTP program as long as you have the FTP detials set up correctly - you should not need Frontpage to upload anything.
But if you have your own HTML pages then yes Frontpage can be used to upload those but also leave the webpage and images generated by WD alone.

have you sent your FTP log to Brian (windy?)

hope this helps

Martyn,

Thanks for your patience. You have been very helpful.

I will send the FTP log to Brian this evening when I get home from work.

Regards,

Bob

No problem Bob,

so are you just using Frontpage to view the files that WD has FTPed to your webspace, and nothing else? Frontpages asks you for your login details when you connect to your webspace?? then you log in to see the files?

Is WD FTPing to the same directory as you have the current page that you have copied and pasted (weather/) but you cannot see it?

UPDATE (yes I can list your weather directory contents so can see all your files that you have copied and pasted)

what have you got your FTP host settings set up as in the connections screen in WD? are they set to FTP to your weather directory?

cheers

can you copy and paste your FTP log from WD here as well so I can take a look please?
ta

Martyn,

I originally was trying to use Frontpage to view the files that WD FTPed to my web site.

yes that is confusing if you can see newer versions of the page via FTP but not normally through the website URL

I can see by accessing http://www.zindlegroup.com/Weather/ that all the files are there but dated Jan 31 at around 23:43 and are not updating?

the FTP logs should reveal what is happening :slight_smile:

I am not sure of the Zindle Group server setup - but can you possibly see another Weather folder anywhere on the webspace?? I find it strange you are FTPing to one Weather directory with up to date files, but there is another one with out of date files!?!?

scratches head

The only thing I can think of is that if you have an account set up on that server then http://www.zindlegroup.com/Weather/ seems to be accessing a root directory on the server - you may have to specify your username in there somewhere - such as http://www.zindlegroup.com/username/Weather/bobzweather.htm ???

just taking a guess at that

what do you have entered in the directory box on the FTP host setup in WD?

Martyn,

I am scratching my head too.

ok - will wait for your info :slight_smile: