La Crosse WS 2300 humidity problem

hello,
I’m very disappointed …my new WS 2300 remote sensor sends faulty Humidity values…there’s a fog here today and the sensor sends 86% humidity!..It never went over 90% since i bought it even in rainy days…I wonder i should open the remote sensor and look for a screw or a trimmer to make it work properly…
bye
Fab

I have found the same results with my WS-2310 - I don’t believe there is any way to “adjust” the sensor. You could however make an adjustment within WD.

Just for comparison sake - I just installed a Davis VP2, and having it running alongside the WS-2310.
Currently, the WS-2310 is reporting 63% while the VP2 is reporting 82% - earlier this morning there was much more of a difference.

What bothered me the most with this on the WS-2310 was the humidity values would mess up the dew points - hence one of my reasons for “upgrading”.

The WS-2310 only reports Humidity from 20% to 95% which has been a subject mentioned round these forums on a number of occasions. Also don’t forget that it can be raining cats and dogs and the Humidity never reach 100% where you are actually measuring it…

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/37232

-Bob

i think the errors increase as it gets colder…yes?

That seems to make sense -
In my post above shows the difference between the two stations at around 18F
Now, it is around 29F and the VP2 shows 49% - the 2310 shows 40%

then the ws2310 humidity sensor is not very well temperature compensated

Its terrible!..
When I first got mine i tried an electrical offset in the sensor, but all that did was overload the a/d converter sometimes (over about 96% it wrapped around to 13% or something like that…), so I have ended up with a fixed 11% ! positive offset in WD… it actually tracks quite closely readings from my decent vaisala probe now…

I would like to get one of the very accurate temp/humidity digital probes for the labjack to use for my main readings though… :slight_smile:

With this Lacrosse station, it’s kind of like “you get what you pay for”…
It is an excellent starter station, and you can’t beat the price. There are many folks here on the forum who have this station and are very happy with it.

Myself, I sent from a Davis Weather Wizard III to the Lacrosse for the main reason of interfacing with my computer and to use WD. The Davis Datalogger for the WWIII is about $30 less than buying the whole WS-2310. That is the route I went. But…I am so used to the accuracy of the Davis instruments, I saw the shortcomings of the Lacrosse unit pretty quickly - especially when I had a major flood event rainfall.

Thanks to a bunch of red oak trees that I had logged off my properly, I now am back to a Davis unit - VP2 w/data logger.
Wow - I think I just made a pun - sell some logs to get a logger…