VP anemometer adjustment

Getting ready to install my new VP2.
I noticed in the manual that there are two was to adjust the anemometer for wind direction - by either pulling off the wind vane for adjustment, or making an offset entry in the console.
Which is the better way?
I will definitely have to make this adjustment being that I will be mounting on a fixed 4x4 post.

I’d have thought that changing in on the console would be easiest, although you’ll probably need to remember to reset it each time you reboot the console. I know the WM-918 and WMR-928 anemometers are tricky to adjust on the vane. You have to try to hold the assembly dead still whilst you turn the grub screw to hold it all in place. Trying to do that when it’s mounted on a post or 30ftup in the air would be incredibly tricky!

Exactly right, it’s a very tiny screw, and there’s no good way to hold the shaft in position while you are removing/replacing the vane. If you adjust the console I don’t think that will pass through to WD so you’ll have to make the same adjustment there too.

It’s actually not difficult to adjust the vane on the anemometer body, at least indoors or at ground level (but agreed not a job you want to do up a ladder). Certainly it’s easier if you temporarily attach the anemometer body to eg a post with some short screws just to hold it in one place. Provided you’re careful to remove and replace the vane with as far as possible a clean vertical movement and a minimum of twisting then the shaft will stay in one place. Just make sure that the grub screw is properly freed off before removing and comfortably tightened (but not wrenched tight) on replacing. And obviously you need to have decided ahead of time just what degree of offset and in which direction you need.

But it’s really better not to disturb the factory setting unless you’ve no other mounting option. Is there no possibility that you could attach a short length (maybe even just 2-3 feet) of pole/mast to the post with suitable brackets and then just use the anemometer U-bolt to achieve exact North orientation.

That’s exactly what I ended up doing yesterday. I went to Radio Shack and got a 10’ section of mast. Had to hit a few hardware stores before I found suitable hardware to attach it to my post. Worked out great.