Davis Tripod?

Thanks to my buddies who operate a logging business, I now finally have the money to get a Davis VP2.
I will be setting the station out in the middle of my yard. My two options are to sink a pressure treated 4x4 in the ground, or buy the Davis tripod. I kind of like the idea of using the tripod as I would be able to adjust the location easily for optimal wireless transmission.

Is anyone using the tripod, and if so how do you like it? Is the quality worth the $65?

Also, I am not too concerned with the height of the anemometer - I am surrounded by tall mountains so I don’t get a whole lot of wind anyway. I actually would rather have the anemometer at around 6’ (I know it is supposed to be at 33’) - I feel that I would like to gauge the wind where people feel it, especially when referring to wind chill.

it is nice, but save yourself some money. Go to your local Radio Shack or similar store that sells TV antennas ( you know those things before dishes and cables, our parents or older used.) and buy yours there. I think it runs about 26.95 .

Now for the coupe de gras… this url has how I used it in my yard http://home.mchsi.com/~dsmweather/stationinfo.htm

Personally… I would go to your local radio shack, home depot, menards etc… and get your materials if possible. Enjoy !

Thanks for the tip re Radio Shack -
For that price I will go with the tripod option - will give me the flexibility I want.

They sell 10 foot antenna poles, suggest that would be better than 6, but still low enough.

Just went through the Radio Shack on-line catalog.
I see they sell a 5’ & 10’ mast, plus all the other hardware I would need (guy wire, clamps, etc). Shows it all in stock at my local store.

I think I will go with the 10’ mast -