Help/guidance to build own weather website

Hi weather enthusiasts,

Ive been thinking about this for some time and now i think its time to build my own weather website with weatherdata from my weatherstation.
I really have no experience with it.
I have seen i got webspace available from my internet provider 200 mb.
I dont know if thats enough or not?
Ive heard about filezilla as a free ftp upload program (is that a good one or other adviced?)and a know the adress of my homepage on which to put the weatherdata

ftp://home.kpn.nl

But thats about all i know so far.

Maybe some of you experts are able to help me out in the means of a step by step guidance for example?

With the kindest regards.

Are you using Weather Display? Do you have any experience with HTML? WD comes with sample pages you can use and will ftp them for you. 200 mg should be fine, any limits on how much you can upload? Typically weather pages are uploaded every 10 minutes. You can edit pages with something as simple as note pad but not word pad or other text editor that do not save as a pure text file.

https://www.notetab.com/ is a good basic editor
https://scottsworld.info/links.htm#HTMLWEB has html references
https://scottsworld.info/html_help.htm

Hi,

Tanks for your reply.

Yes im using WD.
No i havent got experience with html :oops:
Upload limits i really dont know.
Im using filezilla at the moment but as soon as i connect with my host, username, password and Port nummer i get the message shown in the picture.
Not sure if i can proceed savely after this message

ftp.jpg

[quote author=Asperitas link=topic=68438.msg550553#msg550553 date=1568372158]
Hi,

Tanks for your reply.

Yes im using WD.
No i havent got experience with html :oops:
Upload limits i really dont know.
Im using filezilla at the moment but as soon as i connect with my host, username, password and Port nummer i get the message shown in the picture.
Not sure if i can proceed savely after this message

Hoi Wim,

Bedankt voor je reactie en tips.
Ik ga er eens naar kijken.
Volgens mij moet KPN mijn homepage nog activeren.
Ik krijg een foutmelding 530 in filezilla.
Ik heb de vraag gesteld op KPN forum.

Bedankt.

Translation from above:

Hi Wim, Thank you for your response and tips. I’m going to look at it. I think KPN still needs to activate my homepage. I get an error 530 in filezilla. I asked the question on KPN forum.

With kind regards.

Wim

Ja klopt, grappig, hij (Alex_P) heeft me net een reactie gestuurd voor aanvullende info.
Bedankt Wim :smiley:

Ok, i am connected by filezilla.

I fully support your desire to build your own, but you could start by installing one of the exellent weather site templates available from Wim and others.

Never mind, see Wim’s posgt below:

His phone/internet provider (KPN.nl ) allows only HTML
https://forum.kpn.com/internet-9/php-ondersteuning-homepageruimte-home-kpn-nl-440347:

de KPN homepages ondersteunen geen PHP of andere 'serverside' talen. Het is alleen bruikbaar voor statische pagina's, zoals html-pagina's en foto's.
the KPN home pages do not support PHP or other 'server side' languages. It is only usable for static pages, such as html pages and photos.

Wim

Caught me out with that revelation :oops: I wonder how much FTP action they allow on their “static pages” ?

As a start you could set WD to create and FTP its own default weather page at regular intervals which is just HTML of weather data and some images. But advise against WD uploading the daily graphs as 200MB would soon be used up.

Thanks for the replies guys:)
So i understand im not able to show moving items by the looks of it?
Does that mean i cant get data to update?

So far im logged in into filezilla and the homepage as it seems in the picture…:slight_smile:

Hi,

Like this maybe?

Yes I think (Brian can confirm) that is the “Carterlake style” version of a webpage WD can upload.
The default one is more basic and is how I started out.

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your reply.
Where can i find the default one and how do i upload that in filezilla?

Sorry for all those questions :oops:

I see theres a video showing how to setup the carter lake version.
Lets see if i manage to get that working…

I think Carter Lake may be php :frowning:

Hi Niko,

Really, then my options are very limited i think…

WD has an html page that should work for you as Martyn suggested, but it’s no longer the default. There should be some instructions which I will try to find. Unfortunately with limited storage, no php, and I suspect strict limits on frequency of FTP uploads, your ISP free site is only really intended for posting pictures of your cat/dog/hamster - but we can give it a try :slight_smile: