McMahon GFS data

Not working for me

It will be once the DNS changes have fully propagated to all servers, could take 12-24 hours to fully make it all the way found.

Stuart

Working again for me now - thanks Chris!

Tom

still not working for me this is the error im getting if its the same problem

That’s not the issue here. The failure was wxsimate failing to find the McMahon server. What you have is a settings issue. Try following the message instructions and see if you can fix it. If not start a new thread.

Stuart

It doesn’t work for me either.

Can you confirm what error message you are seeing. The error here should be server not being found.

Stuart

Remote server failure(404)
Thank you for the help

Can you access the server from a web browser or console and ping it? Its been working for me since Chris made the dns update.

Stuart

Thank you very much, Stuart, but I don’t know how to do it. I’ll wait patiently for Chris to fix it.

The issue here is that Chris has fixed it! There is a problem with the DNS servers you are using which is why it does not work for you. You need to find someone locally to you to help with this.

Stuart

I hope to solve this problem that still happens in several Spanish stations.
Thanks for the help, Stuart.

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

Are you talking about the same problem referred to here, with the McMahon site not responding? Please describe - or remind me! :slight_smile:

Tom

Hi Tom
It’s the same problem. It cannot find the information (error 404) and goes by all options.
It only accesses FSU, GFS advention and ozone. The rest (Synop, GFS, Raob): “None of first three XXX sources are avalaible at the moment”
Ping from Albany is correct
Thanks Tom

Fernando

Chris is having an issue with his server today which he is looking into but does appear to have impacted on the gfs data as wxsim failed to run gave runtime error 5 while trying to access gfs data have switched to bolher for now

NCO is currently experiencing major supercomputer issues that are causing failures of some of our models. NCO is working swiftly to resolve these issues but we expect a delay to some of our model output on our web services.

[i]NCO is taking action to switch production to our backup supercomputer. This is an emergency switch and will mean major impacts to possibly all 12Z model output arrival times on our web services, including the GFS.

This may also impact other cycles of the hourly models. We plan to send another update with more information as we know it.[/i]

I don’t know if it is related, but WXSIM is locking up for me and not able to create any forecasts.

Whatever the problem is my wxsimate is crashing on every run and no GFS data appears in the output, although no error trying to obtain it. Switching to Bohler and now it works, although yesterday Bohler data was causing it to crash as well and the latest data in wxsimlite was from midday and this was at 10pm!

Stuart

The web server problem I’m trying to resolve will cause problems with picking GFS data up because that’s done by HTTP. The server seems to have been stable overnight although I’m also restarting it from time to time to apply changed settings as my investigations proceed.

That’s what I thought Chris. I’ll stick with Bohler data for a while until things settle down here.

Stuart

Apache web server seems more stable now and I’ve found a few things that could be affecting performance and put fixes in place. I’ve also been slowly tweaking the web server performance related settings to get the best out of it and that seems to be going in the right direction. Hopefully the GFS issue that was reported has worked its way through the system now so my data should be good and accessible again.