Anyone having trouble with initial access to the forum?

Can you please confirm whether you’re logging into the forum each time you access it, or continuing with a previous login. I don’t see this effect but I do login ‘forever’ so maybe I’m not looking at the same process as you. If you log in each time have you tried using the login forever option and does that make it better? I don’t see any downside to staying logged in forever other than maybe forgetting your password for the occasional times you might have to log in again.

Im continously logged in.
When i close (Not minimize) chrome and enter the forum again, i dont have to fill my username and password.

First, I log off every night because it’s been drummed into me as good practice for the last 40 years, and you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. I also shut down every running program, too, before I shut down the computer. (There is a four-letter word for this type of behaviour, I know. . .)

So this morning in Edge I went to the Forum site (15 secs) and logged in (another 15 secs). Getting unread posts was quite fast at first, but half an hour later that’s back to 8-10 secs.

I may also visit the Forum from whatever browser I have up on the screen and today, having already logged in on Edge, I went in with Chrome. That took 15 seconds, and it didn’t recognise that I was already logged in so I had to log in again (another 15 secs). Again, getting unread posts was fast at first but back to 8 secs after half an hour away.

All this in contrast to my post on 13 September: “Yesterday was dire, today is really fast.” There seems no rhyme nor reason to it.

Nor am I blaming Chris or complaining, I’m just reporting what happens to me!

EDIT: And right now, after half an hour away from the computer, getting unread posts is almost instantaneous. . .

…now the text have different sizes…

Which text? That image looks like I remember it and I haven’t made any design changes to the forum for a long time.

I’m still looking at tweaks to make the web server run faster. I’ve just done some more so we’ll see how it goes.

That looks like adjustment for a narrower than usual window?

I’ve blocked the semrush bot too. It seems to be an SEO marketers tool used to track what your advertising competitors are doing. I don’t see why they should load my server when I get no benefit from them!

Less than 2 seconds froom link click to web page. Less than 1 sec for ‘since last visit’ screen to popup. Looking good, very good.

Ken

Cloudflare error 524 (timed out) a few minutes ago when trying to send a PM. . .

You could have got that this evening because I was restarting the web server after making config charges. I’ve run out of changes to make now so you shouldn’t see it for a while

And hopefully even more rarely as I just discovered I’ve been rather heavy handed doing that and that there is a graceful way to do it.

VERY fast opening this morning!
Thanks for all your hard work Chris

:smiley:

Cheers

MikeyM

Yes indeed, very pleasantly fast :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good job Chris​:+1::+1::+1:

Last 3 days opened very quickly.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Sorry to be a party pooper but I am still seeing a 15+ second delay on first access to the forum. Now I realise that it could be either something I’m doing or something funny with my login but it’s still happening on first access every time after turning on my PC.

I’m using Waterfox on openSUSE Linux and have my bookmark set to use https and the url is www.weather-watch.com/smf/ and as I have said all along this is only on first access after booting the PC. Once connected it is just as fast as it always was. It is the only site where I am experiencing this behaviour, everything else I access behaves as normal. I have already changed my DNS servers but to no avail - still the same and I dont believe it is DNS because if I ping the site there is no delay in converting the url to ip, pings are also fast with no drop out. I can see using HTTPFox to trace the calls that it is waiting for the first response to the initial contact. I have also tried using Chromium as the browser but again no difference.

So can Chris or anyone suggest what might be happening here?

Stuart

Did you investigate what looked like a long delay whilst the forum SSL certificate revocation was checked? The way that’s done is specific to the browser, malware protection and local/ISP network connections. There seemed to be an OSCP check being done which wasn’t considered appropriate for the type of SSL certificate used by the forum.

The OSCP check is not there now as I have unchecked the setting in browser prefs which caused it. Before doing this that did show up but no longer does.

Stuart

Actually this morning when I accessed the forum a second time without a reboot it also delayed by several seconds. In case it shows anything I have added a screenshot from HTTPFox from the fisrt slow access this morning in case it shows anything useful.

Stuart

just went to view forum (have forever login ticked) and got the access page before I could view