Anyone having trouble with initial access to the forum?

Yes, Lightning fast this morning!

Thanks Chris!

Ken

Yes still fast, really great :smiley:
A pleasure to scroll through posts and opening the forum.:+1:

I take it that the permission page that I have had twice today is part of your measures to control the bots

Unlikely, do you have a screenshot?

Ive had numerous pages to answer some math before going to the forum the last couple of days…

no have not unfortunately but will if it happens again

if Chris has not done this then this is worrying

It would appear I am not the only one

Sounds like what I reported in reply #134 on page 9. . .

Cloudflare does put captcha type challenges in for some circumstances. I’ll have to look at the possible reasons. I know one is when you come from a blocked country, but I’ve only blocked China and I don’t think any of you are coming from there unless the GeoIP database use messed up and has your IP associated with China.

Again today, and yesterday…

Thanks for the screenshot. It’s obviously not Cloudflare but maybe something about the way access to the forum works through Cloudflare is triggering these. I have a fairly busy day ahead but I’ll try to figure out what’s happening ASAP.

I see the problem (but not a fix yet). As everyone now accesses the forum through Cloudflare the forum sees you all coming from one of a limited number of Cloudflare ‘egress’ IP addresses. Now that’s not a problem, many ISPs have proxies that combine all their users into a limited number of IP addresses so the forum can live with that.

The problem is that ‘dodgy’ users trying to hack/attack/spam domains access those domains through Cloudflare because the domain owners, like me, want the extra protection Cloudflare provide. That means the Cloudflare egress IPs get associated with the dodgy things that hackers/spammers do and therefore firewalls that act on those IPs associated with dodgy users ‘block’ legitimate users who are seen on those same IP addresses. I hope that makes sense.

My thoughts at the moment are…I can disable the dodgy user checks but I’m not sure if that will lead to more dodgy users in the forum or I can look for a way for the forum firewall mod to ignore the Cloudflare IPs. I’ll have to see what’s possible and what the impact of any solution is likely to be. Please bear with me whilst I investigate and consider the options.

Now that I’m on my laptop and can see more clearly on a bigger screen there is a solution. I’ve just enabled it so hopefully the mysterious maths requests will stop appearing now.

…first time login is very slow at the moment. 15 seconds.
Reloading is fast.

Just had the access denied as screen shot in reply 171 above

I’ve made another tweak that might stop this.

Can you please confirm whether you’re logging into the forum each time you access it, or continuing with a previous login. I don’t see this effect but I do login ‘forever’ so maybe I’m not looking at the same process as you. If you log in each time have you tried using the login forever option and does that make it better? I don’t see any downside to staying logged in forever other than maybe forgetting your password for the occasional times you might have to log in again.

Im continously logged in.
When i close (Not minimize) chrome and enter the forum again, i dont have to fill my username and password.

First, I log off every night because it’s been drummed into me as good practice for the last 40 years, and you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. I also shut down every running program, too, before I shut down the computer. (There is a four-letter word for this type of behaviour, I know. . .)

So this morning in Edge I went to the Forum site (15 secs) and logged in (another 15 secs). Getting unread posts was quite fast at first, but half an hour later that’s back to 8-10 secs.

I may also visit the Forum from whatever browser I have up on the screen and today, having already logged in on Edge, I went in with Chrome. That took 15 seconds, and it didn’t recognise that I was already logged in so I had to log in again (another 15 secs). Again, getting unread posts was fast at first but back to 8 secs after half an hour away.

All this in contrast to my post on 13 September: “Yesterday was dire, today is really fast.” There seems no rhyme nor reason to it.

Nor am I blaming Chris or complaining, I’m just reporting what happens to me!

EDIT: And right now, after half an hour away from the computer, getting unread posts is almost instantaneous. . .

…now the text have different sizes…

Which text? That image looks like I remember it and I haven’t made any design changes to the forum for a long time.