Need testers for new 64 bit version of WD Mac :)

Hi Brian,

Latest report from here. Trashed WD and support files using uninstaller program. Downloaded Build 323 Sept. 10. Crashed on minute change. After a couple of tries, when Control Panel responded before minute change, at the minute change, the nag screen popped up. While in Control Panel, when Sun/Moon Coordinates was clicked, WD crashed. Was able to register after a few crashes upon clicking the tab. After registering, if any menu item is clicked before the minute change crash, WD crashes.

Just noticed something new. After opening WD, before the minute change, I sent it behind this forum in Safari and it didn’t crash. When I brought it to the front, it didn’t crash at the minute change. Are the two actions related? When I clicked Control Panel, however, it crashed. These actions are reproducible, so sending to the back and then bringing back to the front after the minute change appear to be related…

Aloha,

Mark

what you could do is try and run it from a terminal window and see if that makes a difference

I don’t know how to even write the command to start the program.

I posted the instructions further up this thread
open a terminal window
then go
cd /Applications/weatherdisplay.app/Contents/MacOS/

then
sudo ./weatherdisplay
or just
./weatherdisplay

I have made a discovery
If I code sign the app, ie so that apple approves it
it would not run
but I run it from a terminal window as sudo (see above ) then it seems to run and it run much more stable (e.g changing screen size of the program does not make it crash)
but I need some teters

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the instructions. Opening WD from Terminal results in WD staying open no matter what happens it appears, just as you found. No crash at minute change, no crash when opening menus, etc. Open only a few minutes at this point so I’ll let it run indefinetely or at least for a couple of days. Coding is a real pain, isn’t it? I see you found another quirk. I wonder if it’s an Apple glitch. Thanks again.

Aloha,

Mark

WD remained open after starting from double clicking the icon rather than from Terminal for about 1-

Forgot to mention that before the last action I reported, when started from Terminal as discussed, WD didn’t stay open for long. Maybe a couple of hours at most. I wasn’t watching as I had to leave the house.

I wonder what is happening for you with the control panel opening make it crash (I dont have other reports of that problem)

I don’t know but it’s not just Control Panel that responds that way, clicking other Menu items and now the Alarm LED cause WD to crash.

I’d better clarify. All the crashing occurs when WD is started by double clicking the app listing in the finder window or clicking on the dock icon. So far, when WD is started from Terminal, clicking on any of the aforementioned items does not cause crashing.

So far, when WD is started from Terminal, clicking on any of the aforementioned items does not cause crashing.
ah that is good news in a way I am not sure what is going on exactly here are you starting it via sudo ./weatherdisplay via the terminal window or just ./weatherdisplay

Starting with sudo ./weatherdisplay.

OK, that is a clue
the sudo commmand gives more privaledges/permissions i.e root access
so I think there is a permissions problem when you try to run it via the icon
it might mean that your Mac Account is not set as administrator?
or
try
going to your Mac Preferences, security and privacy, → privacy, then select full disk access
click on the lock to unlock at the bottom
then use + to add the weatherdisplay app in the applications folder

try that

I was already Administrator for my account so I gave Full Disk Access to WD under Privacy. When WD is opened via the dock icon, it doesn’t crash at minute change but does crash when either Control Panel or Alarm LED is clicked. Didn’t click any of the other interactives. Still stable when opened via Terminal.

Question: is this the version from the normal WD download page (WD Mac 64 bit version)

Yes, it is. News: Started WD from Terminal but after

was there an error message in the terminal window?

No error message at all.

Hi Brian,

More news re. Build 323, Sept 16 version. When started from dock icon, WD crashed at minute change. When started from Terminal, however, but without setting up, WD stayed open for over 24 hrs. I then registered and set up (no crashing during the process) and it was operating fine but crashed after less than 3 hours. Not sure of the exact time as I wasn’t watching constantly.

Aloha,

Mark