New versions to test

No official yet (and not yet packaged in an installer), but to try out:

www.wxsim.com/wxsim.exe
www.wxsim.com/wret.exe
www.wxsim.com/wxsimate.exe

WXSIMATE 7.3 corrects a bug, which was giving an error with one of the RAOB sites for downloads done between 00Z and 01Z. WXSIM and wret have updated algorithms for solar radiation, now taking into account water vapor absorption (via dew point) in the near infrared, whereas I’d effectively ignored that before (it was kind of included indirectly through the auto haze, but this new formulation is better). For dew points above about 8 C (46 F), solar radiation values will be lowered just slightly (more so with increasing dew point, of course). Well below that, the WV absorption falls of more significantly, so dry winter solar irradiances will be increased noticeably.

I’ll be on vacation for about 8 days starting Tuesday. If anything is wrong with these versions, you can revert to the most recent official release using www.wxsim.com/wxsimupg.exe

Thanks!

Tom

So far so good Tom!!

New versions installed and due to run at 6pm local time.

Will let you know how it performs!!

Have a great vacation, you deserve it.

Cheers,

Hi Tom,

This link: www/wxsim.com/wxsim.exe is not working.

Have a nice vacation!

Brgds,
Oebel

Typo in my first link! I used a slash instead of a dot. It’s

www.wxsim.com/wxsim.exe

THAT should work! :slight_smile:

Tom

The new versions are running great here Tom. Have a great vacation. - Jim

Hi Tom,

The new version works well here no problems.

Have a great vacation.

Piet

Hi Tom

Had no issues with your new files.

Thanks,
James B

Tom,
I corrected the typo in the first post in case others try it. :wink:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your work, everything works fine here

Stefan

Hi Tom,

Everything works fine.
:smiley:

Thanks,
Marian
http://www.celinmeteo.com/wdisplay/wxplaintextparsernew.php

Hi Tom - I’ve been using your latest versions for several days with no problems. However my 1200 and 1800 runs today have both thrown up the WXSIM error of ‘READY or GFS data over 24 hours old’. I’m using Bohler and the 06 and 12 GFS data downloaded okay and looking at the files I can see nothing wrong. What is READY data and where can I find it in your programs?

Possibly nothing to do with the new versions but thought I’d mention it…

EDIT: It’s now happening on every forecast run.

Ah, noticed that in the site box in WXSIMATE, the word METAR was showing after the forecast run instead of my site of EGPD+03091. I restarted WXSIMATE, ran a new forecast and the problem went away. This has happened on one occasion before so nothing to do with the new program versions. I leave all the programs open between forecasts and it seems on rare occasions WXSIMATE doesn’t like that and has to be restarted.

Not sure what that was, though it sounds like WXSIMATE may have gotten stuck while trying to download METAR data, so maybe it wasn’t making fresh wdata.txt files. Please let me know if it happens again!

Tom