cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: I need the cheapest option for a weather station with a GSM (mobilephone) modem.  (Read 211 times)

Offline G.O.B.B

• Dayboro Weather.
  • Tomorrow I tell you today's weather.
  • Dayboro
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 68.0
    • Dayboro Weather Station
I am looking for a cheap way to collect weather data in a remote area. Temperature, humidity and rain are the minimum requirements for data collection.

Because only mobile phone coverage is available, I need to plunk a simcard in it or use a USB modem thingy (which I have).

Any idea folks....

Thanks
H

Offline galfert

• Orlando, FL suburbs (Winter Springs)
  • OS/Browser:
  • Android 8.0.0
  • Chrome 75.0.3770.143
Check out the Ecowitt WH6006E.
http://www.ecowitt.com/weather_station/6.html

That said it is a 3G cellular modem device and some carriers like Verizon and AT&T will be shutting down 3G service in the next couple years. Ecowitt has said that they are working on developing a 4G version but that may not be out for a year or more. No ETA on this. You would most likely be able to upgrade the modem when it becomes available... no guarantees.

Offline txweather

• OS/Browser:
  • (Linux Mint)
  • Chrome 75.0.3770.100
Check out the Ecowitt WH6006E.
http://www.ecowitt.com/weather_station/6.html

That said it is a 3G cellular modem device and some carriers like Verizon and AT&T will be shutting down 3G service in the next couple years. Ecowitt has said that they are working on developing a 4G version but that may not be out for a year or more. No ETA on this. You would most likely be able to upgrade the modem when it becomes available... no guarantees.

I second galfert's recommendation.

Offline G.O.B.B

• Dayboro Weather.
  • Tomorrow I tell you today's weather.
  • Dayboro
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 68.0
    • Dayboro Weather Station
Thanks folks. will explore.

cumulus