Upgraded to Win 10-1903 on Netbooks!

Well, have spent the last week or 2, updating the Weather systems from XP (1) and Win 7 (2) to Windows 10 - Release 1903, and things have gone as well as expected.

These are all Netbooks, 1 Acer, 2 Asus, all now with a 2gb SIMM. They are pretty low powered systems, but they seem to be handling the load ok. Have a few moments of 100% CPU, 100% memory and 70% disk usage spikes, but they’re pretty transient, lasting only 3-10 seconds. Majority of the time CPU is 40% or less, Memory is 60% or less.

Win 10’s infamous “we’re gonna update whether you like it or not” has caused a few headaches and extended outages, but using Brian’s YouTube instructions, I’ve set up system tasks to start up WD following a reboot. Windows defender runs, and sometimes- after an update - it tends to hog the few resources available to to its security / virus check. So far they haven’t caused and problems.

I’ve noticed that 1903 installed and runs things like Skype, yourPhone, Microsoft Store automatically. I have no need of them, they just chew up scarce memory. I’ve looked around, but I can’t find info on how to stop these extraneous programs from starting I don’t know if they’re like Edge, embedded in the operating system or not, but I’d sure like to disable them. Does any one know how or where I might accomplish this? It’s no show stopper, but with only 2GB RAM, memory is valuable.

Thanks,

Ken

Oh, it’s all “Niko’s Fault”, he’s the one who suggested I get off XP, and I did, via an interim win 7 Stage… Thanks Niko, good advice…

Crossposted in both forums

Settings/Apps will help you get rid of yourPhone and maybe Skype (I just uninstalled Skype from Control Panel/Programs and Features, I think) and a lot of other rubbish, but don’t know about Microsoft Store. Does it run all the time?

Microsoft Store. Does it run all the time?

Yes, it seems to.

I’ll look at … Apps later today.

Ken

True, it’s usually all my fault :lol:

Did you check out Group Policy to manage updates?