A word of thanks for the WD FAQs, and the program's built in config saving func

For some odd reason I encountered a dreaded failure to restart after Windows did an update overnight. That’s happened before, but WD always restarted when I rebooted the PC. This time I had WD, but didn’t recall com port, station type, graph colors, units settings and the like.

I looked at the FAQs section, found a description that sounded a lot like my peril, and followed the instructions.

Voila! Back to normal in seconds.

First, thanks to WD’s saving the configuration into the backup subdirectory (smart move, Brian) and to the author of the FAQ to help quickly solve my conundrum. I know it seems to take a good hour to get things back to normal when I have fiddled with a new setting and started over.

Fortunately I do not care about my historic data, so I didn’t have to worry about filling in the gaps.

This is such a nice environment to work in. Thanks to all. Dale

Yesterday when I woke up I discovered my Win10 machine had rebooted. Upon re-starting WD had “lost” all settings and was giving me the dreaded “Select Language” dialog box. I restored settings from my backup but seeing your post made me wonder what MS sent my computer…

If you’re running Windows 10 you ARE going to eventually have to install MS’s updates, like it or not. I prefer a proactive approach by looking for updates on a regular basis, every day or every other day or so. This way WD can be safely shutdown using ‘Save and Exit’, thus preserving WD’s ini file. The same ‘Save and Exit’ procedure is necessary before updating WD. Naturally if using StartWatch it needs to stop monitoring WD before shutting it down, or StartWatch just brings it right back up.

There’s a big upgrade currently sitting out there, ‘Feature update to windows 10, version 1903’, that I suspect will also eventually prevail against any and all efforts to thwart it. It takes a long time to install, but all my programs still run normally afterwards.

Very dangerous. . . remember version 1809?

Current computer backups are a given here.

And here, but why risk the hassle? Microsoft won’t release the upgrade to you until they are sure think it will work on your machine, see below. And then (being retired) I set Windows Update 18 active hours overnight, so the machine won’t restart automatically during those hours and it will warn me outside those hours if the machine is active. Gives me a chance to shut down WD properly.

Understood. Nevertheless yesterday I wondered if forcing an update to 1903 would break this computer that steadfastly refused to offer it.

Here is a way to force the upgrade

It took several hours, but in the end the upgrade went well and everything is working. I may have just gotten lucky.

Not a recommended procedure without a full current backup of your computer and another computer to use in the meantime in case something goes awry.

IMHO, you did :slight_smile:

Perhaps, but the same thing happened with forced updates on two other computers here.

My desktop has been showing this message for about a week now, giving me plenty of time to put my affairs in order. . .

1903.png

Once you update to 1903, MS has enabled more control on when your system will update. Through the advanced options you can postpone updates for up to 35 days.