GFS changeover and new version

Same here as the afternoon and early evening runs were good with the new updates.

:smiley:

MikeyM

Update: Sam found the problem and fixed it. The problem was that NCEP is now putting two different accumulated precipitation fields in the data (the old one accumulated over the last 3 or 6 hours, and the new one since initialization, and BOTH are now in there), and they were labeled APCP(1) and APCP(2), and we’d been searching for the tag APCP. This garbled up a couple of the variables. In any case, it’s fixed, and we’re poised to switch over for the 12Z data tomorrow.

I don’t know the details of Chris McMahon’s script in this regard. It may or may not be affected by this redundancy, but if it is, I think my precautionary move will at least prevent errors (though it’s conceivable something else might be affected). In any case, he will be home in a few days to address anything that might come up. Meanwhile, the Bohler data should be sound.

Tom

@ Tom,

Yesterday, June 11, installed now June 12, 8:40 AM and after two runs today no problems here.

Kind regards,

Piet

https://www.meteosauwerd.nl
https://www.sauwerdmeteo.nl
https//www.weerstation-sauwerd.nl

Hi Tom,

It seems, that all works as it should <-----> without any Problems. :wink:

Stefan

Hi Tom,

Thank you as always for all you do.

All working here for many auto updates with new version, we will see what happens during auto run of 12Z data tomorrow.

Kind Regards Always,

If I remember correctly my script extracts the APCP value so it might well be affected by the same problem. I don’t remember seeing this change in the logs or if I did then the significance didn’t sink in. I’m just about to leave on a business trip and won’t get home until late tomorrow so if there’s a problem I won’t be able to look at it until Friday evening.

Thanks, Chris, for checking the forum! I think your script quit working with the changeover, because I’m still seeing 06Z as your current data, and 12Z has been out for a while. I think Sam’s script is all good now, though we did still have a problem with the APCP at 06Z (fixed as of 12Z). Those two fields are defined differently, and they are easily confused! I’ll email you with what we found, to make it easier to fix when you get back. Right now, though, Bohler is a working option, so there’s no “emergency”. Have a great trip! (“great” for a business trip, anyway) :slight_smile:

Tom

Update on GFS changeover. Bohler should be working fine now, though I think 06Z of June 12 had bad precipitation data at some hours, due to us not fully understanding the changes they’d made. That should be fixed now. It appears that Chris McMahon’s script may have stopped working after 06Z (though the data was still good at that point). He’s out of town until Friday, and should be able to fix it soon after that, but meanwhile, Bohler is working fine, for both WXSIMATE and WXSIM-Lite version of the data.

Thanks for your patience during all these changes! I’m hoping NCEP will just leave it alone for a while, now! We’ve had to respond to a lot of URL and data changes this year!

Tom

since this update, i get this screen after every forecast

Capture.PNG

I see that if wxsimate is set to use McMahon data, Bohler is fine. This will be fixed hopefully in the next few days when Chris McMahon returns.

Stuart

Switching wxsimate to Bohler is working fine for me also.

James B
DW4536

Bohler works for me.

Thanks

I’m looking at my scripts now. I’ve found and fixed one problem where there seems to have been an unannounced change to the directory sructure which meant my scripts weren’t seeing any data to process.

I now need to wait for a set of data to download to see if it will process. I couldn’t see any changes announced to the data structure but having now found the directory structure change I’m a little concerned that there are other changes that I don’t know about.

I found another problem which I think I’ve fixed. The scripts have run through and indicate a success but I don’t have time to check output now. I’ll look later but you might be able to tell me if the data looks OK before I get home again.

Chris I just changed to your data for my 13.00 forecast ans allwent fine, so looks like you nailed it.

Stuart

There may still be something wrong. There are a number of new variables, one being the second APCP variable that Tom mentioned. I think that only the APCP variable is used by WxSim.

Unfortunately the naming convention for the new variables means that my scripts don’t currently differentiate between the two variables. I think by accident my scripts are reading the correct variable in each case, but I’ve had to make some changes to ensure that the correct variable is always selected. I need the next run (12z) to become available to confirm that my mods have worked.

I’ll take a look later to see if things are OK.

My scripts are still broken. An unfortunate variable naming convention in the GFS data means that different hours sometimes have two different variables with exactly the same name. They probably contain the same data but my scripts need to know how how many variables to expect for each hour and when you have two with the same name some hours have more variables than I expect to see. I’ll find a way to work around this, but I’m going out with friends tonight so I’ve run out of time for today.

Corresponded with Chris on this. He’s hoping to get it fixed tomorrow. Meanwhile, if you’re getting that ‘no READY of GFS’ message, just switch to Bohler for now.

Tom

Having now looked at the implications of the data changes I’ve decided I need to change the way I handle the new data. That means more extensive changes, e.g. new database field and mods to multiple scripts. This should make the scripts more future proof which is good, but it will take a little longer to make the changes and test them. Still hoping for a fix today if things go well.

I’ve made the changes and I think my data is now good from 12z today (16th June).