cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Weather Map Live - End of the road  (Read 2740 times)

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 74.0.3729.169
    • Weather-Watch.com
Weather Map Live - End of the road
« on: June 03, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »
I'm sorry to let you know that Weather Map Live is fading away. Adobe have now announced that Flash, which WML is built on, will go end of life next year. That doesn't mean that everyone will stop using it immediately, but the writing has been on the wall for some time that it's had a limited life. The formal Adobe announcement has confirmed what I'd thought of doing with WML for some time.

As of this morning I've cancelled all WML repeat payments in Paypal. I'll keep the system running until at least the date Adobe choose to kill off Flash and maybe longer. Anyone with an active account is welcome to continue using it until then. If your account expires (as there won't be a payment made) just let me know and I'll extend your subscription.

It's been fun whilst it lasted. I just wish I'd had more time to develop it further on a non-Flash platform. I have made a start but my work life is way too busy at the moment to allow me to create a quality user interface that would be needed to move away from Flash. Maybe I'll return to it in a few years when I have more time, although I'm not sure there's still a need for something like WML. When we started to develop it it was a novel idea. I think there are now other ways of doing the same thing so it might not be worth me spending time developing just another flavour of what's already available.
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 74.0.3729.169
    • Weather Display
Re: Weather Map Live - End of the road
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:44:50 PM »
sorry to hear this, but as you say the writing has been on the wall for a while
Just want to say thanks Chris for everything you have done and for keeping this forum going..(which won't be forever either!)
Luckily for WDL there is now the new FreshWDL that Yerren developed that uses HTML5
I removed WDL a a long time ago but still people are managing to find it and I just had an order today

Offline browgars

• Midmar, near Aberdeen Scotland
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 74.0.3729.169
Re: Weather Map Live - End of the road
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 08:03:32 PM »
Thanks Chris & Brian - I saw the PayPal notification a few days ago but I signed up so long ago I had forgotten all about it. I was a very happy WDL & Weather Map user for many years but have now moved to Yerren's Fresh WDL. Thanks for all the hard work you both put in & as Brian said it was great whilst it lasted. Well done!  :D