ISS unit for Davis

Can anyone help i would like to place the iss unit of the Davis Vantage Pro in a different place (temp/hum) only, but leave the rain bucket where it is, can the iss unit be spilt from the rain bucket. if so how long can the cable be.
Many thanks richardc

you cannot separate the two. You can mount the anenometer with the 40 foot cable elsewhere, but you will need to keep the unit with the ISS. The rain bucket shelf is part of the whole unit. the reed switch is fragile so right now you have to mount the unit with the ISS. Maybe in a future version some time. Sorry.

I suppose an alternative would be to cover the rain bucket with something like the KAP ( I can provide info) and purchase a separate wireless or cabled rain guage and manually enter your data from that reading.

i think it could be done…if you can separate them, then yes just entend the cable, which you should be able to extend by as much as the anenometer
it would be ideal to be able to extend the rain guage like that, as ideally the rain gauge should be as low as possible off the ground

of course your warranty is no good, but you could machine what you want and of course you will need some cable to connect the two units, making sure the connection is water tight.

Or you could purchase a different temperature/humidity unit and use that as your outdoor sensor and leave the unit intact. Then on your console set the new unit to a different channel and use that as ISS.

Well I have a related question to this …

Can the SIM box be removed from the Rain Collector and mounted with the anemometer on its mast? Then cable to the rain bucket that would be about 5’ away but in the shade (instead of cabling to the anemometer). I want to use the VP2 on my RV and am limited to mounting choices. Otherwise, I’m afraid I wont get the most effectiveness out of the solar panel.

This way I could mount a mast to the ladder rack on my RV with the SIM and anemometer then cabling to the rain guage/ISS with a short cable. The solar panel would then be oriented south since the anemometer arm would need to point north. :?

I have the VP 1 and I agree with you the placement of the simm box is odd. They had a fan aspirated unit in which that was a possibliity and I see in their VP2 temp/humidity station that also is done. I don’t see why you can’t modify the unit. After all if thing so bad, it is fixable. You would need to extend the cables . If you are good with the solder iron, I would solder the wire connections, wrapping each one carefully so no short and of course use a heat sink to protect components when soldering. Then cover the whole solder area with a good water proof external covering ( i.e. heat shrink tubing).

Somehow having the simm box on mine under the unit or having the sim box on the south side of the unit when I am a north side person… I can’t see how to get a good reception spread. But it is doable.

Good Luck… This sounds like an interesting project. You might want to check the Davis site to see what clearance items they have that you can retrofit. I.e. rain collector shelf or if you are good in metal work, make your own … just watch for rust.

So … (forgive my ignorance, I havent bought the VP2 yet) … how does the SIM box attach to the rain collector base? I cant tell from any of the online manuals how its mounted, if I knew, I could make a better decision for purchase.

[quote author=Curbe link=topic=6804.msg45953#msg45953 date=1104601497]
Well I have a related question to this …

Can the SIM box be removed from the Rain Collector and mounted with the anemometer on its mast?

So .. (forgive my ignorance, I havent bought the VP2 yet) ... how does the SIM box attach to the rain collector base? I cant tell from any of the online manuals how its mounted, if I knew, I could make a better decision for purchase.

There are pretty good instructions on how to remove the ISS in this Davis manual for the old daytime fan aspirated unit…

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/daytime_fan_kit.pdf

have not seen you on this forum for a while rpreus…??