Forcing FTP's to be in the right directory

One issue that I’ve had with WD is sometimes the ftp dumps of files end up in the wrong directory. This is normally due to a failure of the chdir command. This doesn’t happen often, but enough that at least once a day, one or many files end up in the wrong area.

Today, I fixed it by setting up an FTP account who’s root is in the directory where I want the files to go.

This means that when WD logs in, it is already at the spot necessary to dump the files and it no longer needs to chmod anywhere to get there.

Not sure why I didn’t do this eariler…

once a day?? I haven’t had this happen for ages now.

can see a rogue clientraw.txt in my root though from 15 days ago - not a problem !

but yes FTPing to root as a designated directory is a good plan.

11/10 for clever lateral thinking. Now that you’ve mentioned this I don’t know why I never thought if it either. Hopefully my days of clearing out the root folder of my weather sub-domain are now over :smiley:

How does one set up this FTP account? In WD or is this set up on the hosting end?

Thanks

Frank

It’s at the hosting end. Like krelvinaz, I run my own server so creating new accounts is easy. Depending on your host you might not be able to do this.

Actually, this is on my paid hosted account. They have cpannel which allows you to setup new ftp clients. I just set one up using a different login and had its root point directly at the spot I wanted the files to go.

And yes… I was having this at least once a day, sometimes multiple times.

I don’t know why since I’ve never had this type of problem before. It could be the hosting services ftp just isn’t making the change it says it does, but now I don’t have to mess with it.

Where the files were accidently being put is in a middle area where I don’t want any files, just folders. The acutal storage area is in its own filesystem and the middle area is part of the root filesystem.

As to why I took me so long to do this is a mystery. I’ve setup hundreds of ftp accounts this year and always set them up pointing where I want their files to go… I just never thought of doing it on the remote hosting site until last night.