Davis Instruments 'WeatherLink Live'

As the new device from Davis Instruments ‘WeatherLink Live’ is now available to the weather fans, will it be possible for Weather Display to capture and process the data from the ‘WeatherLink Live’?

I understand from the web page that WeatherLink Live will let you see your personal Davis Instruments weather station data and local forecasts through the WeatherLink iOS or Android app, with real-time data updates (when connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your WeatherLink Live).

The WeatherLink Live appears to me as being a ‘fusion’ of both a console and a WeatherLinkIP data logger, whereas the viewing of the data is now done through a smartphone.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the data from the WeatherLink Live is also uploaded to the WeatherLink Cloud (WeatherLink.com), somewhat comparable with what the Davis Instruments WeatherLinkIP Data Logger has been doing (with limited free basic data made available, pushing for costly monthly subscriptions).

The WeatherLink Live is listed at $250 USD, which is a bit less expensive than the combined cost of a console/receiver (Vantage Pro2 at $295.00 USD / Vantage Vue at $195.00 USD) and a WeatherLinkIP data logger (at $295.00 USD).

I don’t they have released any api documentation for it yet?

Indeed, no API has been released yet - no one seems to know if and when Davis Instruments will release an API and if there will be subscription costs to access said API.

The API is scheduled for release this summer. I suspect it will be freely available but can’t be 100% sure until it appears.

NB But it’s not necessarily going to simple to adapt existing software & dashboards to cater for WLL, at least not for any of the extended VP2 configurations that WLL now allows, eg multiple anemometers or rain gauges, though maybe having solar/UV on a separate transmitter from the ISS might be easier to allow for.

John, could you please rephrase/reword (put in other words :wink:) the following paragraph:

Is it going to be less or more simple to adapt existing software to ‘WeatherLink Live’? :roll:

Sorry there was a ‘not’ missing in my haste - original post now corrected. The data structure will (I’m guessing) now be JSON, which isn’t in itself an issue, but with potentially (at least for some users) more sensors than the traditional Davis API allows. So it won’t necessarily map 1:1 with eg LOOP/LOOP2 and any adapted software will need to be able to accommodate more sensors, eg multiple anemometers or rain gauges (if not multiple ISS’s).

but that is not really a problem, multiple anemometers or rain gauges
i.e they just become available e.g as a custom tag

Sure, but I was thinking more of dashboards where some users might want to display eg multiple rain gauge graphics or anemometer dials. No reason it can’t be done of course but building in the flexibility to allow the necessary layout options isn’t entirely straightforward.

Thank you John for the clarification. :wink:

The fact that the ‘WeatherLink Live’ unit will be able, as you stated, to receive and process the data from, not only multiple sensors, but also multiple ISS, means, in some ways, that most current dashboards will have to be redesigned to consider those new options.

If, as you are guessing, the data is provided in the JSON format, then, I am hopeful that each ISS will be well identified within that file as well as all the sensors managed by each ISS. If so, then it would be a matter of extracting the data from the JSON file as blocks for each of the ISS and then as sub-blocks for each of the sensors (I guess :? ).

There is a user Davis Weather Group on Facebook that has been testing for an extended period and has 50 new ones on order for his company, so I think that is testimony of his thoughts.
https://www.weatherstem.com/dashboard?fbclid=Iw…-BnqomDl1w

He has written an article for the meteorological magazine on what he has been doing. This article has been posted on this forum separately.
https://www.ukimediaevents.com/publication/772...nsvEFcf5ys,

The link below is to the Facebook group so if you want to engage them you could head to Facebook and try to coach them to this forum.

[URL=https://m.facebook.com/groups/122495148272292?ref=m_notif

In addition for those interested in WLL Scaled Instruments has it on sale $173 for pre-orders

https://www.scaledinstruments.com

Well, I received my ‘WeatherLink Live’ earlier this past week.

After encountering a ‘frustrating’ situation trying to get the unit to send its data to the WeatherLink Cloud, the unit is now connected to my internal home/office network using a cable (instead of to the Wi-Fi - my Wi-Fi is getting ‘overloaded’ as almost all IoT devices in my house need to be connected to the Wi-Fi) and the unit is updating its data once every 15 minutes.

It was only after the data was being uploaded to the WeatherLink Cloud and having contacted Davis Instruments support that I found out that the API cannot be used to download the data from the ‘WeatherLink Live’!! :angry4: I could not get a confirmation if or when the data from the ‘WeatherLink Live’ would be available through the API.

So, obviously, my first impressions are “DO NOT buy the ‘WeatherLink Live’, it is not worth the investment … unless you have more than one ISS or you want to install a large number of sensors or you do not mind having to pay a subscription fee in order to download/process your data”! :roll:

I have the Weatherlink IP site and they have an API for your site. Now the biggie is, since the app for the phone remains as it for now, would the API for the site then be the same for the Live version? That is , I wonder if it will be the same API, only that the data is hitting faster?

I am not getting one, I have other problems that require money… I could go on. The biggie is the electric company’s new policy.

info has been shared on wxforum by the author of meteobridge
which is great
and it looks simple enough
so I need a guinea pig to test a simple test program to get data :wink:

Brian, I presume that you are writing about the WeatherLink Live (WLL) device…

What exactly do you need?

yes, its been worked out how to get data from a WLL device
I can get you a test program to test getting data, if you have one :slight_smile:

Yes, I have been following the discussion/thread in the forum at WXForum.net.

As I was curious, using PHP, I was able to extract the data from my WeatherLin k Live (WLL) unit… :wink:

If i have one what?.. :-"

so you do have one, great
I will work on getting you a test program to test

Yes, I have a Davis Instruments WeatherLink Live (WLL) device/unit model #6100:wink:

The WLL is connected via cable to the router of one of my home/office networks - I am not using the WiFi access/possibility of the WLL - the WLL has been assigned a premanent IP address.

Whenever you are ready with a test program, I am ready to run your test program… :slight_smile:

good oh
proof of concept test program:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/crondaviswll.zip