Evaluating Weather Display Software

Hello, I’m a new user to this forum and, as of this morning, I installed and set up Weather Display to communicate with my Davis Vantage PRO2 weather station. For the last 6 months, since I bought my Davis Weather station, I’ve been using the WeatherLink software. For you experienced users, what do you like about this program over WeatherLink? Also, is there a walk-thru someone posted that would give me an overview of all the capabilities of this software? I’m a weather hobbiest. I do send my current data to WeatherUnderground (via WeatherLink).

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Welcome :smiley: I dumped WL for Weather-Display 17 years ago shortly after getting my Davis VP. I think probably the single most important factor today is that WD has an active and very available author who continues to support and enhance the program. WD offers the possibilitity to upload your data (often using their API) to a multitude of weather services and personal web templates. User requests for new data publication possibilites are entertained, recently openweathermap.org and windy.com have been added, and also MQTT data publication. Of interest to many users is that WD supports secure FTP which is now required by many web hosts. WD supports a huge range of weather station hardware, and allows the comingling of data from multiple sources.

With so many possibilities it is very difficult to have a simple overview :frowning: I suggest you scan the forum postings, and if you have questions just ask, must of us are very friendly :wink:

I run both. Many people do.

But WD allows for LIVE/more frequent updates and pushes to more weather systems than WL.
Twitter, PWS, AWEAKS, WU, CWOP.

WD creates more information. moon, sun, fire etc.

I know I do not use WD to its fullest potential. But you cannot argue when the Author of the software gives feedback and offers to find and recreate a problem for you. He never gets enough credit for that.

I think the key driver for change is WeatherLink is basically end of life with no further development or enhancements. Davis are completely moving away for software to cloud based platforms. This is reflected by Davis themselves and the new WeatherLink Live is their next step in that direction.

On the other hand WD is fully supported, flexible, configurable to push to multiple end points, still be developed, bugs rectified and Brian actively support new providers and end users.