The wisdom of Hindsight

26 years ago I got the brilliant idea that I could mount my Anemometer with my Davis VP2 setup, 33 feet up with on a steel pole with guy wires and all that. Not realizing that 26 years in the future, I am going to be less fit to actually bring down the anemometer for service. So after recovering from my stint in the hospital, I noticed that unit was not giving wind speeds. I did some digging and not since Feb 6 was it giving values. Direction yup.

So I do some digging, went out pulled the sensor plug and used the test switch which showed the ISS was in perfect working order. Next I look at the cable carefully as far as six feet up and no bends, breaks, nicks… nada. then the thought struck, the dang reed switch (that model has them) finally has given up the ghost. Taking it down isn’t going to happen. No one is going to help me either way. so it makes a nice lawn ornament for birds. I do have a 2nd unit that is lower and it is functioning fine.

So now I am looking for a location around here that I can install a backup unit. The old metal swing set has been in mind, so has the lawn shed, providing I could get a ladder and not fall off it.

What I am saying is be sure that when mounting one of these beasts, you think 26 years into the future and rationalize whether or not you can replace it when it stops working.

Amen to that sir. Like you I now have to think about access for everything, or even giving up if something breaks. Made me get a wind up telescopic poll and professional standard sensors. But then I thought the wire in between said sensors and the hosue would last forever. Nah!

When I re-engineered my installation a few years ago I made the anemometer pole a tilt-up attached to the main pole supporting the Davis ISS. Now I only have to undo a couple of bolts to bring it down onto a saw horse for service :smiley:

with me, I am scouring the backyard to see where to put the new unit. So far the concept of drilling a couple of holes through the metal pipe top of the old swing set, putting two long bolts in (with washers and nuts) then moving the wireless transmitter as well , Also the garden shed could be an option, but the ground is too soft from all the winter melt to put a ladder down to climb up and hopefully not falling down. OR to mount a lower 3rd unit to the mast.

I went out again and looked at the mast and I can’t see any fraying or loose wires, the wind direction works, cups spin easily as they have for 26 years, cable no breaks chews or anyting. I did clean out the socket incase of critters, but Naw, I am going for a failed reed switch. I also entertained a cherry picker to be hired, but that would cost too much.

I am 71.5 so my engineerinng days are over.

To mount stuff with minimal engineering consider using unistrut/superstrut parts.

Just a youngster, then!

Younger than Mick Jagger :wink:

Yeah but, he doesnt have a weather station :lol: :lol:

What the heck? I’m nearly 87 and with help of one person recently installed new Oregon and moved the Davis with new anemometer, as well as adding a WeatherFlow. The 2 conventional stations have anemometers on a pipe at 6 m.

You youngsters have no stamina.