Moving Weather Display to new PC

I have had WD running on a PC since 2005, and it is still running without any issues. However I am being proactive and replacing this old but reliable Dell Poweredge Server, currently running Server 2008, with a newer PC with Windows 10 Pro. The old Dell has been crazy reliable, I had a stick of RAM fail, and replaced a hard drive or two over the years, still has the original cooling fans, and everything else. But it is time to put this old P4 Pentium out to pasture. Will probably help my power bill also.

Just looking for any suggestions to make this transition as hassle free as possible. The basics of my plan after making sure Windows 10 is fully updated is to copy the entire wdisplay director and subdirectories to the new PC, then install WD on the new PC, and run it as a slave to the current PC. Once satisfied that works, then connect my weather station (Davis Pro II) to the new unit, and configure the serial port (yes I did find a PC with an i5 processor that has a serial port).

What have I overlooked?

TIA

There’s an FAQ about moving PC, if you haven’t seen it already: http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/10888

It may be an old thread but still covers everything you need to know. :wink:

Thanks, that is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

OK, new PC arrived, and after updating Windows 10, I followed the steps in the FAQ for moving to a new PC.

All went well, and it started working as soon as I connected the weather station to the PC.

Only issues were some fonts were too big, and were clipped, on the main weather console screen, and the banner that WD creates and I use on this site, and a few others. After adjusting font sizes, and saving the settings, I end up with the huge black area, as you can see below. Went back through the banner setup a couple of times, but still this huge image…

help!

try resizing the banner in the banner setup in WD
(and you will then have to update that to your web site etc)

DOH, that was simple enough… Thanks