Forum unstable

The database that the forum runs on keeps on stalling. I’m investigating but not being helped because there aren’t any log entries associated with the problem.

I’ve tweaked some settings to see if that helps but need to wait a few hours to see if it’s made a difference. Unfortunately bed time is approaching around the time the next stall is due and I have a very busy day planned for work tomorrow. Which is another way of saying that I’ll try to keep the database running but I can’t guarantee that at the moment.

There’s been another stall :frowning:

I’ve tweaked some more database config variables to try to better tune things but it’s a slow process to debug things. Hopefully things will be stable overnight. I’ll try to check before I go to work but probably won’t have time to do more tweaking, probably at best a restart of the server database process.

I think I may have fixed the problem. I found a table that wouldn’t open properly and couldn’t even be repaired initially. I hit it with a big hammer and it’s now opening and allowing me to query it. The vital signs from the database process look a whole lot healthier now too which is a good sign.

I won’t be sure if the problem is fixed until the database has run for a while, so I’m hoping it’s still running in the morning. Ideally I’d like to see it survive >24 hours but I’ll live with 10 hours uptime from now which takes me to breakfast time tomorrow morning :wink:

Fingers crossed!

The database survived overnight so I’m feeling more confident that it’s fixed. It was hanging up every 2-4 hours yesterday so a 10 hour run seems good. The table that was causing problems is also opening quickly today so that’s also a good sign :smiley: