Rain Reporting issues with WeatherFlow?

Well, it’s been a dry couple of months here in New Zealand so I haven’t had much rain to see how the weatherflow station is doing, but I ran into problems in the last 24 hours with the rain we have been having.

I’m on 10.37s85 and I don’t see any notes about fixes to weatherflow in the version history notes for the last couple releases.

This morning, when I looked at WD it reported no rain yesterday and no rain today. It has been receiving all the wind and temperature updates/readings from the weatherflow station, but nothing on rain even though the WF station reports 14.8mm for yesterday and 6.8mm for today. I set the Data Logger back about 36 hours and restarted WD and it started pulling all the data again and I got the rain into WD, but it appears to have double counted or miscounted the monthly rain totals as WD now reports 30.4mm month-to-date, but when looking at the WF station page there has only been 27mm?

Not sure what is going on here or why WD was not recording rain yesterday?

Station ID is 5236 if needed.

there has been some fixes to the rain from the WF station and there was some threads on that
you should have been on a more recent version

So that you know, the rain auto-calibration for the WeatherFlow smart weather station has not yet deployed. Should you want to learn/read more on the subject, may I recommend that you have a look at one of the WeatherFlow Community (forum) threads, such as “Rain seem off (auto-calibration system not yet deployed)

So my issue is not with the calibration or amounts of rainfall being recorded. It’s that WD is not getting data from the hub for rain.

I’m now on 10.37Sb91 and there has been no rain recorded yesterday or today even though there was 15mm yesterday and 12mm and counting today.

Was this a bug in b91 as well? Is it fixed in b93?

ok…I tried to get it to redownload the last 4 days of data. I reset the data logger back to the 5-March and it started downloading data and then we had a momentary power cut and the computer rebooted. Now I’m trying to force it download again and it refuses to download any data at all…even from Yesterday. Does WD have some kind of switch/setting that stops it from pulling down the data again because it thinks it already did?

bumped

Any idea why I’m having issues with rain reporting on my weatherflow? Was it just a bug in b91 and has bee resolved in b93?

Also, any tips/suggestions on addressing that issue the resetting the datalogger not working?

Hrmm…happening again today. 2.5mm of rain showing on my weatherflow station and no rain reported in WD. WD has been picking up wind speed, direction, and temp the whole time today. It’s just the rain data that seems to stall/die after a couple of days. Reset my data logger to pull the information back from the last 24 hours and it now grabs the rain data.

What is going on here and why is only this one piece of information failing to come through.

Also…still have the issue of the rain getting double-counted when running the data logger.

does the rain raw data show in the separate running cronweatherflow program?
(last value in the column of values)
it could be that for some reason, for your weatherflow station, its not picking that up
(as I do not have any other reports of this problem)

what I need is a copy of your

weatherflowbobs.txt

from the webfiles folder

when its raining (maybe hit the pole to make vibrations)

Just coming back to this now that we have had a rainy day and the same thing seems to be happening where everything but precipitation is feeding into WD.

It appears that the rain raw data is not showing in the cronweatherflow program. I’ve attached the weatherflowobs.txt file as well. I’m not sure if this is relevant, but the file is timestamped 5:14pm today even though it is now 7:51pm. It has rained several times since 5:14pm, but there is no update.

Also wind and temperature data seem to be coming through just fine? It’s just the rain…

weatherflowobs.txt (338 Bytes)

Just curious…

Is the rain data reported when looking at your WeatherFlow smart weather station data through your browser using the following link:

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/{station ID}

You might have a defective SKY unit…

Yes, there is no problem with the SKY recording rain. It is not defective. I mentioned that in my original post. Also, in my post above I included a screenshot showing where you can see cronweatherflow, WD, and the station’s web page and as you can see the station reported rain, when WD and cronweatherflow didn’t.

in your raw OBS
“obs”:[[1554091912,24766,1.29,0,0.63,2.15,7.92,310,2.98,1,206,19.583]]}

the rain value is zero
what I need to know does that value change at all from being 0?
that is the value that WD uses
if not then that means there is something wrong on the weatherflow side

Hrmm, well, it stayed that way all day yesterday. Then late last night I did a datalogger extract set for the prior 72 hours and restarted WD so it pulled down all the data. At the end, it updated the WD daily rainfall to match what was reported via the weatherflow page. Today, I went up and banged the pole of the weatherflow to trigger a rain event (7.5mm) and WD still hasn’t reported any rainfall. I justlooked at weatherflowobs.txt and it is reporting ‘0’ in that delimited position in raw OBS. I have now closed and restarted WD again and it still shows 0 in that 4th delimited position

“obs”:[[1554198924,0,0,0,0,0.78,1.34,294,2.98,1,0,7.471]]}

So datalogger manual extraction seems to work, but not feeding in from weatherflow…API? Any idea on best next steps?

I suspect that there is a problem on their end that is just affecting you for some reason
I could make it an option to use the eg “precip_total_24h”:19.583, data instead

Thanks, Brian. I’m going to send this thread to their support and see what they say. If they can’t rectify it, perhaps you could add that option? Unless you want to just add it now regardless (not really sure I understand the implications of this, but I’m sure you do!).

Hey, Brian. Got an email back from my ticket with Weatherflow. They can’t see anything wrong, but said they will try to reach out to you. I’ve forwarded their response to [email protected] along with current backup files and weatherflowobs.txt from this morning (when it’s been raining and not showing up in WD still).

I know it’s the weekend for you so no rush, just whenever you get a chance to look into it!

But I have replied to you via email
So not sure why you are posting the same thing
Here?

All I need to know is does the value in the data position 3
Change when it’s raining, in the raw data, in the file weatherflowobs.txt

If this isn’t related then sorry about posting here…only had my Weatherflow for a few days but I notice a big problem with rain reporting as well. Just had a gully washer here, 0.02"/minute, and I still have my Davis Vue online so I can compare with WF. I have captured a couple screen grabs that show that SmartWeather is doing a good job of tracking the rain with my Vue, but WD on my iMac is way behind on the amount of rainfall. Note that the iMac is wireless to the WF hub and I have no way to know if that is a cause. But it is obvious that WD on the iMac is no where close to rain amount being recorded from the Vue or from the SmartWeather app.

The 1st attachment is showing the rain recorded by the Smartweather App, and the 2nd shows what WD on the iMac has picked up. For comparison, my WD on Win10 recorded 0.77" at the time of these screen grabs.

WDRain.png

One solution is I add option
To use the rain total provided in the raw data
I
Instead of the rain amount since last rain recorded
Where some of those readings might get missed
I am away this weekend
Do can’t do anything until I get back