I'm moving from WA State to Florida

We are selling our house in Long Beach, WA and moving to Orlando, FL to start a new mobility dealership / scooter rental company. Orlando Sun Mobility. We will deliver rental mobility ECVs and wheelchairs to hotels and resorts around the theme parks.

Why are we doing this? We want to make a fresh start. My wife Cindy’s cancer tests show it’s all gone since the last surgery in November. Hurray! for surviving stage 4 cancer! We have vacationed in Orlando about 15 times in the last 25 years, we like Disney World. Our business will rely on tourism. Orlando is America’s most-visited destination with 72 million visitors in 2017.

This will be a big weather and lifestyle change. Yea, its hot and humid. rains and suns in the same day. Traffic there is bad, the drivers are horrible.
I’m going to work in tourism near the Orlando theme parks. I will probably live in Winter Garden or the Clermont area.

I’m not taking my weather station, I’m going to leave it behind in Long Beach so the community can still enjoy it. I’m basically giving it away for free to a local friend who already is a weather enthusiast.
Maybe someday I will put in a new weather station there, probably not in the first year though. Anybody else here ever move to Florida? Did you like it?

What happens to the computer repair business?

Moved my mom from FL to here…she doesn’t miss the bugs at all #-o

Hi Dan, one of my employees is buying it so the town will still have computer repair. The phone number will still be the same.

“Bugs” was the first thing that came to my mind too :lol:

Mike: All the best to you and your wife for this major life change, very glad to hear that she is doing well :smiley:

It takes faith and guts to do a fresh start, especially in today’s business world and environment.

Good luck, of course.

One of the things living in Wisconsin near Minneapolis/St. Paul was our awareness of the entirely different full-year weather experience. After visiting Orlando area for the first time for a bit of time beyond the obligatory Disney thing, we returned to Wisconsin with the realization that snow has a sort of cleansing effect. All the dead grass and trees and stuff gets weighted down and pressed into the ground, with new spring shoots and growth pushing up through it, sort of like the Firebird ending in Fantasia 2000. A new start. Slate wiped clean. We thought that Florida could use a good heavy snow every once in awhile to push all the dead stuff flat with the ground and start fresh…

But I’m being weird. Dale

Wish you and your wife the best. I really appreciate your help over the years.

great news re the remission

Good Luck and Best Wishes on the move!

ADVICE FOR ANYONE MOVING TO FLORIDA:

1. Save all bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.
  2. If you do run your car into a ditch, don’t panic. Four men in the cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don’t try to help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
  3. Remember: “Y’all” is singular. “All y’all” is plural. “All y’all’s” is plural possessive.
  4. Get used to the phrase “It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity”. And the collateral phrase “You call this hot? Wait’ll August.”
  5. Don’t tell us how you did it up there. Nobody cares.
  6. If you think it’s too hot, don’t worry. It’ll cool down-in December.
  7. A Mercedes-Benz is not a status symbol, a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford is.
  8. If someone says they’re “fixin” to do something, that doesn’t mean anything’s broken.
  9. The value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but the availability of shade.
  10. BBQ is a food group. It does NOT mean grilling burgers and hot dogs outdoors.
  11. Everything is better with Ranch dressing.
  12. DO NOT honk your horn at us to be obnoxious, we will sit there until we die.
  13. We pull over and stop for emergency vehicles to pass.
  14. We pull over for funeral processions, turn our music off and men remove hats or caps. Some people put their hand over their heart.
  15. “Bless your Heart” is a nice way of saying you’re an idiot.
  16. No mater what kind : sprite, coke, pepsi, mtn dew, it is called SODA not COKE or POP Also no matter where we go SWEET TEA will also be first choice.
  17. If there