HWS-template (WD34) beta test topic

If you, the future users, want me to continue to enhance this template for WD users, follow these few guidelines.

[ul][li]Post all remarks for the April beta test version in this topic only. Lets not swamp the normal end-user topic [/li]
[li]If you are not familiar with weather34 or one off its spin-offs, do not download or test the beta version[/li]
[li]Always check the running version of the beta test before posting remarks, most remarks are probably found by others and already taken care off[/li]
[li]There is no extra documentation yet, some features need it [/li]
[li]Please do not discuss the common features or the design itself. If it is in all versions a discussion should not be in the beta topic [/li]
[li]AND PLEASE do not use the beta for production. Especially do not rename it as pws/ or pwsWD/[/li]
[/ul]

This is the list of known problems and their current status as of 2019-02-19 14:00 UTC

SOLVED

[ul]
[li]In the Moon phase pop-up the text is not fitting into the boxes, bottom box edges are across the text [/li]
[li]Wrong (WC and not WD) or two icons in footer on the left[/li]
[li]The acknowledgement “Design based on weather34.com” on the bottom right is off the page caused by two icons on the left[/li]
[li]Serbian flag is missing from language selection permission problem on the server, one has to manually correct that [/li]
[li]Graphs for today pop up is not showing data also Graphs are not showing data
WU returns empty file. After cache invalidates (= to old) the data is often correctly loaded[/li]
[li]Its hard to see the complete error message use LIGHT theme when posting messages[/li]
[li]UV images not found scripts used uv 0-13, adapted to use 00 → 013,
adapted scripts ***closed*** weather34 for WeatherDisplay (clientraw and WDapi) - #344 by pwsdashboard - PWS Dashboard - Weather-Watch.com [/li]
[li]Contact info popup should only show enabled methods i.e. don’t show twitter if account not configured.
adapted scripts http://discourse.weather-watch.com/[/li]
[li]When setting light theme, top bar stays dark. Adapted for topbar and the menu. But for now the pop-ups stay dark. Need more testing[/li]
[li]Added support for Weewx, Cumulus and Weathercat using the same realtime-file layout. Also Weatherlink.com is added using the API-v2. All supported weather-programs show the icon and link in the forter[/li]
[li]Footer adjusted so all data is aligned correctly.[/li][/ul]

OPEN

• [li] Graphs are not showing data
    WU sometimes has problems and returns empty file, with only the heading. The scripts check if a file is retuned otherwise the old one is used. But WU returns a correct file, only the data is missing. Needs some extra code to get that corrected[/li]
    [li]wxsim forecast not working.Missing documentation.
    You need to setup the saratoga PP parser: …pwsTEST/wxsimPP/plaintext-parser.php
    First make sure that the original parser works ,example http://wd34.weather-template.com/pwsTEST/wxsimPP/plaintext-parser.php
    The pwsTEST scripts will read the output and process it for display[/li]
    [li]wxsim forecast: Its hard to see the complete error message
    Could not reproduce this. The normal error message is the first line from theSaratoga script and a second red line from the pws script. Those other errors should not occur. [/li]

WILL NOT IMPLEMENT / SOLVE

• The site wont run on older Safari versions
    [li]Today’s forecast( Friday 15th) is showing the wrong icon, should be the same icon as Saturday.
    All forecast data is cached (3600 seconds), also after first install. So the first hour there will be no correct data. If this problem persists I need more information[/li]
    [li]Password should not be stored in cleartext in settings file,
    It is not in a “cleartext” file. It is in an PHP file which can only be accessed when one hast that password. Or by FTP userid/password or by cPabnel userid/password. There are no passwords for visitors. If you want to discuss this, please use another topic as all templates work this way.[/li]
    [li]Extras menu should only show configured options. Extras menu items need config section in setup
    Setting for (non)-display of extra menu items is already in easyweather. The list of extra menu items is in a separate file with explanations. [/li]

Hello,
i have a problem with wxsim, if i put english language it works but with the italian language we do not see the temperature numbers.
https://stazione.meteosantangelo.it/pwsTEST/

Very strange.

1. As with the release version I do it step for step. So there is no Italian language file in the wxsimPP folder of the BETA-download
  2. But I see Italian language for wxsim at your site, screenshot meteosantangelo.jpg. And indeed the temps are missing
    [li] I added the Italian language also, Italian words although not quite the same but no missing temps, screenshot wxsim_it.jpg
    http://wd34.weather-template.com/pwsTEST/index.php?lang=it[/li]
  3. Downloaded your plaintext.txt but that is correct English and produces the same Italian words and correct temps

Beta testing is about helping the developer to find errors with the beta-test scripts. To make sure that the release version is as good as it can be.

I can only assume that the missing temps you have are caused by your own Italian language files with which you tested. Therefor I wait to further investigate as long as you use your own files. Upload “the original” Italian language file as attached without changing it or opening it .
When the results are correct with the official language file we can close this problem.

And when the April release arrives (or even now) you can change the Italian language file as much as you want. Or you can use your file.
BUT all language files should be encoded as UTF-8. So do not save it after changing with another character-encoding.

Wim

P.S.
I found the problem with your file:

langlookup|High:|T°Max|
langlookup|Low:|T°Min|

That added degree symbol in the high low strings results in two degree symbols in the resulting parser output.

Other languages
Low: 2

---

![meteosantangelo.jpg|683x478](upload://eEd1xBB600mbHic4N8RwxXEJEzN.jpeg)

![wxsim_it.jpg|692x472](upload://qt9YiaFZlJBb8S1NTgNRWnKkhxZ.jpeg)

[plaintext-parser-lang-it.txt.zip|attachment](upload://w2VeWxZkcj58YESHtiGay7UYlEe.zip) (4.17 KB)

Second beta version April release ready for download.
Read more at and download from http://wd34.weather-template.com/beta.php

Do not update the beta releases, just remove old folder and test the new one from scratch, thanks
Wim

I just installed the second beta.
I came across this error in forecastWXSIMdaily_popup.php

https://weatheryyc.com/pwsTEST

Thanks, I do not have any test-files with low temperatures.
Can you give me the link to your plaintext.txt so I can copy a few to test with?

Attached an updated script,
Wim

forecastWXSIMdaily_popup.php.zip (4.07 KB)

Thanks

https://weatheryyc.com/meteotemplate/wdUpload/plaintext.txt

The new script seems to work

Thanks Wim, it works.
Also installed the second beta and everything works.

Wim, one question and one comment - for the latest released beat version of the templates.

The question: Why is there a white ‘X’ on the left site of the web cam image - that would be the at line 41 of the ‘webcam_popup.php’ script.

The comment: If I try to run the ‘webcam_popup.php’ without a link to the web cam, the ‘uninitialized’ variable ‘$webcam_img’ at line 3 will produce ‘Undefined variable…’ notice. May I suggest to prevent such notice that the 'include ‘w34_settings.php’ at line 25 be moved before line 3.

Just trying to make the code of the templates as error free as possible … even when those errors are/might be hidden behind another screen or image… :wink:

Oh, another comment: Why can some pop-up screens be close by just clicking outside those pop-up screens whereas some newer pop-up screens need to be clicked on the ’ X Close’ on the top left corner. Should there not be a consistency/sameness/uniformity on how the pop-up screens are closed! :?

The large X (and the word "close’) are added bacause a few commented that there should always be a “X close” type message.
I thought that everybody knew that clicking outside a pop-up would remove it, but . . .

The comment: If I try to run the ‘webcam_popup.php’ without a link to the web cam, the ‘uninitialized’ variable ‘$webcam_img’ at line 3 will produce ‘Undefined variable…’ notice. May I suggest to prevent such notice that the ‘include ‘w34_settings.php’ at line 25 be moved before line 3.
I changed that already, please try this version.
Just trying to make the code of the templates as error free as possible … even when those errors are/might be hidden behind another screen or image… :wink:
Oh, another comment: Why can some pop-up screens be close by just clicking outside those pop-up screens whereas some newer pop-up screens need to be clicked on the ’ X Close’ on the top left corner. Should there not be a consistency/sameness/uniformity on how the pop-up screens are closed! :?
All pop-ups can always be closed by clicking outside the pop-up. No code change there.
The 2017’s pop-up use the “URL-look and feel”, some 2016 used the X at the left or right.
I tried to have a consistent look and feel, all have a X on the left.
Thanks, Wim

@all always check the latest version on http://wd34.weather-template.com/pwsTEST/
You can also check the source of (nearly) any script by adding ?sce=view
http://wd34.weather-template.com/pwsTEST/webcam_popup.php?sce=view

webcam_popup.php.zip (1.76 KB)

Current conditions says “Mostly Cloudy” but icon shows rain

Capture.PNG

I have been running the beta for two days now.
The WxSim forecast works on the 5 and 11 AM forecasts but hasn’t worked on the 5 PM forecast. I get the message ‘wxsim file not ready’. When I use the wxsimPP/_test.php I do get the WxSim forecast.

Also it doesn’t show the graphs using the database (it does in the non-beta version). It will graph using WU.
Can be seen here: https://www.shermanctweather.org/pwsTEST/
Tom

#-o The converted plaintext.txt /jsondata/wxsimpp_en.arr has only 7 day-parts is that correct or is the file incomplete?
The scripts check if there are at least 8 dayparts.
If your files have only 7day- in the same wayparts, change line 39 in forecastWXSIMblock.php to
if (!isset ($arr_pp) || count ($arr_pp) < 6 ) {echo ‘wxsim file not ready’; return;}

The pop-ups should also be changed, but that is for tomorrow as i live in CET
Wim

I could not reproduce as when i checked the text and icon are the same.
I will check daytime tomorrow as it is 00:40 CET here.
wim

Wim,
Changing that line fixed the WxSim forecast.
Tom

Maybe this is just one time strange glitch. I will watch it to see if it happens again

Added the “new” WeatherUnderground forecast to be included in the upcoming release. http://wd34.weather-template.com/pwsTEST/

The new API-keys are not yet available (only a few developers got one) until all problems are ironed out in the “how to obtain your key” process. As soon as one has got the e-mail and generated a NEW WU-api-key, sent me a PM for the download.

Based on the mails from WU it will be early next week until a new beta will be available to all.

Small problems with the WU data:

[ol][li]Missing description of some fields, f.i. iconCodeExtend[/li]
[li]The 3 temperature fields: temperature temperatureHeatIndex temperatureWindChill seems to be unrelated to each other, example for a night and the following day in Celsius :
temp 0 heat 7 chill -1
temp 13 heat 12 chill -1[/li]
[/ol]
Need to study the documentation if the explanation is hidden somewhere.

With the API-key one can also download 7 days of history, in JSON format. Could be used for the graphs also, but seems to have no advantages yet compared to the .CSV downloads from WU.

Wim

The METAR-data layout changed, the humidity field is now an array.
Attached new version ONLY for the beta test pwsTEST, not to be used for the normal pwsWD version.

Wim

metar_load_funct.php.zip (3.66 KB)