GRLevel3 Data Source/Issue/Question

Hi All,

Not sure I’m putting this in the right place but here goes…
I noticed that my GRLevel3 images on my website were not updating and when I checked it looks like my software isn’t able to download the radar data anymore. I’m guessing something changed, maybe gone https or something. I did a quick search and a few Googles but no luck and so I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I just updated GRLevel3 software end of last year and didn’t see a newer version.

Thanks

Derek

There is a beta of GR3 2.80b1 on the GR3 Forum you can download to resolve this problem.

There’s now a beta of GR3 2.80b2 on the GR3 Forum. I installed it and it seems OK.

Thanks for the replies everyone but I installed the latest beta and still no luck. Everything appears to load/run fine but down in the bottom right corner it just keeps showing in red “Next Update In Xsecs” then “Downloading” for like 2 seconds but never seems to connect to wherever it’s trying to connect and nothing ever updates. I’ve not changed any settings in years other than trying to see if a different site made any difference, which it did not.

I’m currently stumped!!

I’m wondering if your antivirus, firewall and/or OS have updated and are now blocking access?

Might it be that the radar site where you are getting the images from is down (which radar site do you have setup in the GRLevel3 software)?

Have you tried getting the images from another radar site?

I normally use KHTX or KFFC but I’ve tried a bunch of others, even some on the west coast but still get nothing. Also, firewall and AV are both disabled. Internet access is fine and WD uploads to my site are working fine. The last day everything worked was on 2/4/19. At first I just thought the radar was down but after a few days I looked into it and saw that nothing was being downloaded. I’m really stumped on what’s going on.

I’ve thought about deleting everything and reloading but I have a sneaky feeling that isn’t going to help. Plus I hate to have to redo things from scratch.

I do appreciate any and all advice!!

Hmmm…I was just about to suggest deleting and re-installing, but do understand your reluctance. Now that I think about it, wasn’t there a Windows Update for Win10 about that time frame? I wonder if there was, it has screwed up something (what a surprise, right)?

Hi Sacreysouthern,

That’s a good point on updates but it’s an XP machine that runs both WD and Grlevel3 and no updates for years.

I’ll give it a bit and if nothing comes up I’ll probably try removing and reinstalling. Not working now so I can’t really make it worse I guess.

Pure conjecture! Is it possible the source changed to SSL/https, or version thereof? AFAIK XP lacks full support for SSL so maybe that’s why you Objector is having issues and others are not.

Hi niko,

Thanks for the input. I’ll do a fresh install and a quick configure on a W7 or W10 system this afternoon and see what happens. It makes sense as it’s been almost 10 years without any issues and this just started out of nowhere without any changes on this end.

Well it looks like niko was/is right. I did an install on W7 and instant success. Didn

Woohoo!

Which Atom? There’s a wide range of capability, I’m running WD on an Atom D525.

I’ve been running a Shuttle XS36V4 with the J1900 CPU and it handles WD, WxSim and associated programs with no problem. Also streaming NWS radio weather and a few other things.
VERY happy with it and it really cut my power consumption from the old IBM ThinkCenter I was previously running. 8 GB ram and 250GB Samsung SSD.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

Passmark CPU Performance Comparison (Ctrl F often works better than their search box).

Hi All,

Appreciate the feedback on equipment. Got bogged down with work so just now had a chance to see what’s inside this little computer. Turns out it’s an Atom N450 @ 1.66 GHz but only 1 GB of ram running W7. I don’t know if I could add more memory, or if it’s even worth doing.

Appreciate any opinions.

Thanks

Derek

Even if you did add memory I think it would run out of steam running more than one application :frowning:

Interestingly this new WXForum post appears to be the same issue, and the error message shows it’s under “Windows 5.1” which is XP.

Yep, looks just like what happened with me. Too bad, ole XP has been a work horse for a long time but I guess you can’t stop progress…