WUnderground new PWS-only API

Latest info I have is attached. Note that new API documentation is now available.

The documentation has been available for
A while
The keys are supposed to be available 14th feb

My API is still working. . . Latest info from WU attached.

WU2.PNG

yes, I got that email
once I get the new key I will see about getting WD to use the new api to get needed data it does now
hopefully it will means you will be able to get your own WU data via the api (ie WD set as stationless (I have not allowed any new users to select that as option due to uncertainty))

i managed to get my api key
which are available npw
but I had to use Edge browser (which I not logged in with before)
chrome said session timed out

and I have got weather data working in WD for the new apikey you can get and for your WU ID via the new api system :slight_smile:

Well done, Brian - that was quick!

+1

I also got a new key and am working on a WC-forecast.php script (based on the old, soon to be deprecated WU-forecast.php script).

Like Brian, I couldn’t get a key with Firefox, but was successful with Chrome (after signing in to my WU ID).

Missing from the returned JSON is a timestamp representing WHEN the forecast was done… only a ‘validfrom’ date set was found. Also missing is any meta-data about location name.

The language stuff works just fine and returns UTF-8 text in the requested language.

I’ve done a preliminary mapping of their icon codes to icons used with the NWS/Saratoga and Meteotriviglio sets.

I got an access denied for some of the things (history/5 day forecast)
if the forecast is set to 7 days
5 days and its OK
go figure

You have to ask for the 5day only… the others seem to return 403s/not allowed.

Strange, but my 5day request is now returning 6days of forecast… I’ll not complain :slight_smile:

so why does the example in the docs say 7 days

I also got an access denied for the sample history too
I was thinking that could be like a replacement for almanac (all history)?

where do you find info about the icon codes code?

That was in one of the linked Google docs about the API: https://goo.gl/G75I1Z

The API returns iconCode and iconCodeExtend (but I’ve not found docs on the iconCodeExtend anywhere)

"iconCode": [
      ],
      "iconCodeExtend": [
      ],

After about 5 hrs, I’ve repurposed the old WU-forecast.php script into a WC-forecast.php script and it’s getting and formatting the data.

I’ll be releasing the updated script after there is general availability of the WU PWS users ability to get an API key (right now, it appears to be limited to early adopters who let Victoria know).

great work Ken
so only people directly contacted by Victoria can get keys currently?

Sorry, Brian, I don’t know. Victoria was collecting PWS WU station names and existing WU API keys into a list (and likely still is).
When you receive an email from her, then you can do the signup for a new API key. The signup page isn’t linked in the member’s WU area… it’s currently accessable via direct URL link (and you have to have signed into the WU site beforehand).

Yes, only a few developers/beta testers got the key. Just to test the “key obtaining procedure”

Mail from Victoria Gardner Feb 19 23:00 UTC

I would ask you not to share the URL and instructions widely yet -- I picked a small handful from my full email list so that I could adequately handle any questions or problems individually (the down side of being only one person).

Also the current procedure is a temporary one:

You may notice that the link for the API keys looks different from the usual Members page on WU. It's a pre-production release, just for WU PWS API users.

Wim

Thanks, Wim, I was beginning to wonder! I’ll just wait for my e-mail from Victoria, then :wink:

WU-hoo! :slight_smile: “The gateway for the new API keys for PWS uploaders is open.”

AND the old one (if associated with an uploading PWS) will continue to work until 22 March. . .