Wind gust glitch

Don’t know if this is a feature suggestion or a bug. During calm winds today (2-3 mph), there was a sudden 55 mph glitch reported by WD. Interestingly, it didn’t contain a gust direction (just —). Davis console (I use Vantage Pro2) did not record this gust (checked min/max) so I guess the glitch came in the communication link from the Davis Data logger and PC/WD.
I understood WD periodically checks the max gust of the day in the Console. Would it be possible that WD also detects if its max gust was (much!) higher than the Console’s?

Related to this phenomenon - I wanted to delete/correct this erroneous wind gust from the records and managed to do it half way. It happened this month (February).

Concrete values, for the reference:
real/corrected gust: 45 km/h
erroneous gust: 88.5 km/h

I noticed this:
%monthtodatemaxgust% - reports corrected value (what I read from the console)
%yrecordwindgust% - reports erroneous value (the one that came from the communication glitch). I’d expect it to be equal to %monthtodatemaxgust%

Where else does the WD keep these max values so I can edit it?

Did you check: View > All Time Records > Year to date > Set Values

Also, if you can add the WD version & build and where you found the erroneous gust (was it in the monthly log file or ???) then it may help Brian diagnose the issue. :wink:

My information was not complete, I agree. It is Windows7, WD build 90.
The glitch must have come from the cable or who knows where from. WD logged it as 88.5 km/h with no direction (it said —). My suggestion was to implement a quality check. WD checks for the max gust of the day every few minutes. If the WD’s logged gust is lower (by an offset) from the Davis console, it will take over Davis’ value. Same could be done for erroneously high values, I hope so.
I got this glitch once in 3 years so it’s not a big deal as long as I could delete it from WD data completely.

I did go to View > All Time Records > Year to date > Set Values and I did set them. But the “All Time Records” screen still doesn’t modify the value. There’s a switch on the same page that flips the values. I don’t exactly understand which values it switches from/to. If I switch it, it does show the corrected value but other values (e.g. coldest night, etc.) are completely wrong (50 degC).

Since the %monthtodatemaxgust% shows correct value but %yrecordwindgust% does not, I wanted to ask Brian, if these tags come from different database and where I could set it.

When you open the All Time Records Set page, go to Page #1 and along the top of the page select whether you want to change Year to Date, Month to Date or All time to date by clicking on that button.
Then select the line you want change, in your case the Max wind gust, and input the date & time of the correct max wind gust, along with the correct speed and press the “Set” button, followed by the “OK” button to confirm the change.
If you want to change all three (year, month & all time), then I would do them one at a time and save after each change.

As long as you’ve taken the erroneous data out of the 22019lg.txt file in the logfiles folder then the tags should have been corrected.

I did exactly as you suggested but the tag does not show expected value. I will try once more.

WD crashed today due to unknown reason (never did it in such manner before). After I reboot the laptop, it works normally and did extract the data from the datalogger itself (this means it knew when it failed, right?). Then I tried to repeat the procedure for setting the max wind gust and it worked as it should. I guess it was something in WD that didn’t work right.

New to the forum. I am having the same issue with erroneous wind gusts.

The maximum gust today readings are somewhere around 40 - 65 MPH higher than observed. I have seen this issue for the past 10 days or so and it seems to occur every other day between 0001 hrs. and 0400 hrs. Today’s reading was 75.6 MPH, while actually measured high wind gust speed was 10.3 MPH. The weather display (WD) wind graph does not show the erroneous max gust reading found in the extreme conditions section of weather display. However, the erroneous maximum wind gust populates the all time record high wind gust section of WD.

I have a Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 and am running Weather Display build 93 with Windows 10 OS. The maximum wind reading on the Peet keyboard is accurate and matches the wind speeds observed on the WD wind graph.

I am not sure that this is a hardware problem or software issue. The rest of the data appears to be accurate when comparing the Ultimeter 2100 readings with those on WD.

Any suggestions on correcting this issue would be appreciated.

Hi
that is different to what is being reported here in this thread
as you have different hardware (ie Peet Bros)
and I guess you have that set to complete record mode
try unsetting to use max gust from that data maybe