SFTP Timing Out - Not Able To Upload Files on WD 10.37S89

I’m not able to use the SFTP feature in WD on 10.37S89. I was recently forced to transition from FTP to SFTP for uploading cusotmtextout.txt to a local server, so I do not know if SFTP worked previously. SFTP works from the same Windows 10 PC for the same file with Filezilla, and a command line sftp (see below). The first time I used either approach to transfer the file, I was asked to accept credentials since the server certificates are self signed.

Command Line that worked:
C:\Users\Joe>sftp -c aes128-cbc [email protected]
Password Authentication
Password:
Connected to [email protected].
sftp> put C:\wdisplay\webfiles\customtextout.txt
Uploading C:/wdisplay/webfiles/customtextout.txt to /RM/Weather/customtextout.txt
C:/wdisplay/webfiles/customtextout.txt 100% 1574 73.2KB/s 00:00
sftp> exit

Hi,
I notice the switch is off (red) in the general FTP function screen and there are no upload times set so the file will not get transferred.

I used the test button without turning on automatic uploads to test different settings. I tried automatic uploads earlier without any luck and eneded up disabling because of it hanging and taking time to timeout. Thanks for the review

I see you are using the 2nd server option and do not have any FTP host settings entered on the “connections” tab. Is there a reason for that? If not then maybe try putting the host settings there and not use the 2nd server?

Genius. I never considered using the primary ftp to upload the single file since I normally use the primary ftp configuration to upload webpages. Now I’ll have to find a way to upload the other files to the primary ftp server.

OK, for now there appears to be an issue using a secondary sftp upload server. Something Brian may want to check out. This is probably not a high usage model today, but may become an issue for more people as more and more systems move to secure interfaces.

where exactly does it turn out the problem is?

How were you doing that before? If the primary FTP details are there then everything should use that, webpages/images/single files etc - the 2nd server option is there to upload selected file to a different server in addition to the primary, not instead of. I have tested this in the past and the 2nd server does work. Are all your webpages etc going to your local server too?

Using a 2nd server option in general FTP without any primary server details entered in “connections” - but I always understood the 2nd server option was an addition to and not an alternative to uploading to a primary server?

If you use the Internet File Creation and Uploads override option you can choose which files go to which server.

yeah,…he has set to use 2nd server…but no 2nd server is setup,…

I was using both the primary and secondary SFTP clients in WD. The problem arises when I used the secondary account for SFTP to an inhouse self-signed server. The pictures above are from my various experiments in which I first disabled the primary SFTP client to an outside location and tried only using the secondary SFTP setup, but that didn’t work even though I was able to transfer files using Filezilla and an SFTP command line on a Windows 10 PC. In both cases the Filezilla and command line SFTP transfers, I was asked to accept credentials the first time I accessed the SFTP server. What did work on WD was when I moved the setup pointed at the internal server over the the primary SFTP account. My guess, (and just a guess), is that WD doesn’t deal with accepting credentials from self-signed servers on the 2nd SFTP account setup, but can handle for primary accounts. -joe

but in the screen shot you do not have any ftp settings set for a 2nd FTP server in the general FTP setup

look at the original screen shot post that shows 2nd SFTP setup and primary setup was cleared. The three configs tried were (1) both primary and secondary setup, with secondary going to internal SFTP server (no pictures)…that didn’t work, (2) primary removed and only a secondary setup for internal SFTP server (original post with pictures and logfiles)…but didn’t work, and (3), moved internal SFTP server over to primary (2nd set of pictures)…that did work. Let me know if you need any more details or run any tests. -joe

just to clarify
using the normal ftp settings, in the connections setup
that is working (SFTP)
but those same ftp settings or a second ftp server, in the grouped upload, is not?

Correct. The 2nd connection would timeout trying to transfer the data after what the log shows successfully connecting. My guess is that nd connection cannot deal with self signed connections for the first acccess, but the primary can.

if you set the times different to send the files in the 2nd server, to the main one, does that help?

I will need to try later. I

in checking my code, I am not using the SFTP option for the 2nd server in the grouped upload
so that is the problem

are you able to make your SFTP server available for me to test?

Unfortunately not since it is an internal only system. Since the primary works flawlessly, I

its a complete new set of code that I need to write
I will try my best and then you can test

unless someeone else has a SFTP server that I can access to test