cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Blizzards in the Midwest  (Read 305 times)

Offline aardvark

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Des Moines, Iowa, USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Mac OS X 10.14.2
  • Safari 12.0.2
    • Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Climate
Blizzards in the Midwest
« on: January 19, 2019, 11:41:26 PM »
Ever notice how a blizzard doesn’t become newsworthy until it hits the East Coast?
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Mojave;https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/1c484adbfa914d1aa10a58ad53ccd563/summary

Offline Dale Reid

• Eau Claire, Wisconsin
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 64.0
Re: Blizzards in the Midwest
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:03:42 AM »
Of course not, it is ONLY the east coast where those who run the national news live get a bit up about it. 

During the elections, Minneapolis, which is just west of me by about 90 miles, lamented that no candidate paid any significant attention to our neck of the woods, and got the nickname fly-over country.

My wife has noticed this for some time.  It doesn't help that the weather channel is (used to be) located in the south somewhere, near the paths of tornadoes and snow sometimes. 

But the tornado alley and major thunderstorms and those to the west all get left out, mainly because NBC hasn't put a head count on those in the path of a storm.  Sounds much more impressive to say that 45,000,000 are in peril rather than a few million might be rained on, or have to deal with a foot or two of snow in blowing winds.  Naww, that wouldn't be catchy.

It was worse when we visited Washington DC this last summer.  It was even more self important than even the east coast in general.

Offline chief-david

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 71.0.3578.98
    • Robbinsdale Middle School Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 02:47:39 AM »
I say it all the time.

They own the press and thinks there is nothing past Ohio until you get to CA.
Somewhat like this

I was glad it was 14 degrees for the Super Bowl last year. Wish it would have been colder.
Vantage Pro Plus 6163
KMNMINNE28
CWOP DW6947
Midwesternweather.net 
twitter @RMSWeather

Offline Fox Of The Wind

• Anthony
  • C:\DOS C:\DOS\RUN RUN\DOS\RUN
  • De Soto Wisconsin USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 64.0
    • De Soto Valley Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 02:16:17 PM »
Ever notice how a blizzard doesn’t become newsworthy until it hits the East Coast?

I wonder that same thing also. I don't even watch the weather channel anymore. and that same reason is why I got my weather station to start with.

cumulus