Totally confused newb (Davis USB logger issues)

I “inherited” a Davis VP2 with the house we recently purchased. I got it resurrected and installed Weatherlink on my PC.

After finding some of the limitations of WL I started looking around and WD looked like a good option.

I downloaded and installed the trial version and went through the setup wizard. However some of the options and instructions/tips seemed a bit vague and confusing. Bottom line is that I cannot get WD to connect to the VP2.

More info: it’s a model 6152 with USB data logger. I’m running Windows 10x64. I also installed the CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Driver. According to the Device Manager it’s Port 4, so I changed from the default COM1 to COM4 in the control panel (and restarted WD) to no avail.

I spent hours searching this site but most of what I found was from 10 years ago. This one post suggested there’s a fix, but no further explanation:

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I’m sure the answer has already been posted a dozen times but I can’t seem to find it.

Short version: If it is in USBxpress you’ll need to fire up weatherlink to change modes, This article has the details.

Thank you. I have converted to Serial and now have a new COM port which I selected.

However, the WD program is not acting right.

When I went through the Setup Wizard, when I got to the Station type and Settings, clicking Close/Save doesn’t close. It appears to Save, because if I close the window with the “X” and re-open it, the data I selected is still there.

However, the Exit > Save & Exit in the main program doesn’t appear to do anything (AND even clicking the “X” will not close the program). I have to use Task Manager to force quit it, and when I restart WD none of the settings I made have been saved.

I don’t think any of the settings are actually being applied, as no data except 32

maybe you need to set WD to run as administrator?
also where do you have WD installed to ?

I ran WD as Admin and now I can save stuff.

However I am only getting partial data - it seems to have downloaded some historical data. For instance, it shows a wind speed and gust from earlier today, but the temp and humidity are not accurate, nor is the current wind speed/direction.

I verified that the Davis logger is on COM6, and selected that as well as Davis Vantage 2 as weather station type.

HI
try :
in WD , go to setup, advanced/misc
and tick to log the raw data

then post here what shows under view, debug info

is the data received light flashing?
how old is the data logger?
maybe its not revb (i.e untick that) in the davis station type setup

If it came with a VP2 it’ll be a rev B.

OK, I went in to respond to the above posts, and it seemed to be working perfectly normal…

Exited and re-started, same thing. Set up my connections to WU and CWOS and all seems well.

Technology is great. When it works.

Thanks for the help.