*** closed*** HWS Template (WD34) Wish List

Because I started with the 2017/2018 versions, it is a one persons hobby for ALL developers and because of a few other personal reasons, like having some time for family also.

Please feel free to fork any of the versions and develop your own version.

Most users already know that there will be 4 versions this year. The July release is fully (> 90%) responsieve, including all graphs. Test at http://wd34.weather-template.com/pws07/
Wim

Thanks Wim, I am no good at coding. Just super basic stuff.

Just loaded July release on mobile, looks great!!! Thank you for all your work!!

I’d like to see earthquake data ordered by distance from my station and then by magnitude. As an example, today there was a 4.0 quake around 300 miles from my location, but pws is highlighting an earthquake in Mexico that was a 4.1 but is 2600 miles from my location.

The July release displays a table in the pop up which you can sort dynamically by distance or time.
The large block can be set to do that in the script. The small block always tries to find the most important earthquake nearby.
Test here http://wd34.weather-template.com/pws07/index.php

Wim

Wim, could you possibly add a third sorting option: By magnitude and/or intensity.

yes,
Wim

Thank you. :flower:

Hi
The feels like temperature which appears on this excellent template is different to that calculated by using the (seemingly) universally accepted formula found at: http://www.bom.gov.au/info/thermal_stress/

Are there any plans to use the above quoted formula in this template in the future?

best wishes

griffo42

there are different feels like
and I would not stay that an Australian one is universal :wink:
there is the canadian humidex for example

Well…I’m very sorry to say this, but I liked the graphics on April version better. New version has become too sterile. The round elements added some humanity. Weather sites are boring for many ppl. (my GF thinks this is a waste of time) It was nice to have some graphic elements that were not so square.

The original W34 designer had a big background in graphic design, and that appears to be lost now.

Wim made some comments here concerning the reasons for square vs. round.

You can always continue to use the April version or any other version. A lot of users customise a version and continue to use them for years. One of them even has a a topic about his effort and successes on this forum.

Round: Or you can use the round option on the July release: https://www.weerstation-herent.be/pws07/?round

Wim

But the round option does not appear in the menu, and is not “sticky”: if you change from dark to light theme it goes back to square.

No it is not sticky yet. Nobody whose uses another language as English, wanted it so far.
With the round option most texts will not fit and IMHO the other HWS templates changed to square also for that reason.
I will put it in the menu and in easyweathersetup.

Wim

Have to agree. Come and join me in the customising business!

The original W34 designer had a big background in graphic design

Actually I think he’s lost the plot, now, looking at his latest effort: Weather-3Four - Where can we find out the weather (Sorry, Brian!).

What I liked about the early templates (“I design simplicity”) was the understatement. Nothing shouty, no really bright contrasty colours, no advertising-agency feel. And that’s what I’m trying to keep going on my page: I even wonder if I’ve gone too far with the bright bars in the Garden Temp “Feels Like” column. . .?

On the debit side we have inherited from him the fashion for numeral 1 to be narrower than all the others. But 10 should appear the same width as 11 or 12 or 99, and then you can align them easily (example.png shows left-alignment OK but it’s ruined by the figure 1 on the right!). Wim changed the clock, for which I am eternally grateful, but I shudder every time I see, e.g., 11.1 as in example2.

example.png

example2.png

Not to derail this too much, but after seeing your thread I’ve been doing the same as well. I like April style so I’ve been tweaking the layout, added lightning info, icons to appear when it’s raining, changing up colors, fonts, placement of stuff. Been fun just going and figuring stuff out and tweaking to get what I’d like to see.

Exactly! And you’re already one up on me if you’ve been playing with fonts :slight_smile:

hi

first and foremost all credits should goto Wim not myself he basically took a incomplete version from 2017 into what you guys have now and are able to customise it to your liking.so replace weather34 where ever it is shown to something related to Wim . he deserves that credit .

@bitsofstring :slight_smile: has for thanking me or leaving your in debt ? as above incomplete version many aspects of that version was never completed and was left to the wayside…

the approach of using circles was dropped based trying to match and align additional language phrases that was a tedious task and if there had been no design approach then just using text on a plain background would have been easier but less pleasing in design,many times I could perfect the layout in english and throw it into dutch for example and suddenly it all goes a bit wonky .then mr smith comes along with his new laptop that has no keyboard no mouse,no touchscreen, but its got voice controlled commands and he cant view the popups it begins all over again(excuse my humor)

circles versus squares(ish) i think the fact you have an option to use either is all the more better for everyone though adds somewhat more things to oversee from the creative side.
I went with a redesign released it sat back and waited for the negatives to appear but none were forthcoming , I get the part we all have views on how things should look if we all saw it the same way then it becomes rather a stagnant uninteresting challenge and it ends up being it is what is scenario, so you have something in front of you that you can tweak and customise that makes it far better than it was in the past and again credit goes to Wim for making it somewhat easy to customise to your liking.

weather websites are one of the most challenging things to get right because there is no standard in the weather hardware, software, servers, units, languages and the list goes on .
its far far easier to design for your personal needs and never give a dam about others or requirements but getting it right for everyones needs is the big challenge…

as for advertising look no sure I follow that one fully but perhaps its the footer layout ? I only promote what hardware I use and trust , however Im about totally ditch the weatherflow hardware after there recent rain fiasco approach left a large question mark but thats for another thread and another day when the initial disappointment wares off …

so please credit Wim where ever possible be it discretely or boldly . no need to use based on weather34 anywhere… brian

so happy coding,customizing,breaking(best way to learn) and nolatron have you worked out what simsek means :slight_smile: or correctly typed Şimşek

edit ps i like how you done it…

https://tureng.com/en/turkish-english/şimşek%20

Credit for Wim goes without saying, Brian, or we wouldn’t have this version to play with at all. And I totally understand how difficult it is to please everyone, which is why I customised my page rather than raise lots of minor quibbles. I was expressing a personal opinion. . .

P.S. The weather up here is still pish :slight_smile:

there not quibbles just ideas thats how it evolved take the ones that work for most and unfortunately pass on the ones that dont… not everything has to be opinionated :slight_smile: yes six months of living in a hotel in livingstone told me enough about your weather and being a southern shandy drinking bastard from kent (as i was called many times humorously amongst other none post-able phrases ) i needed the sun…take care…brian