Davis VP2 plus raincollector problem

Hi

I have a strange problem with my Davis VP2 Plus. The rain collector is going nuts. I count sometimes about 300mm rain in short time when it is not raining.
I replaced the tipping bucket but it did not solve it.
Then I replaced the transmitter board in the ISS. After this it went well for about 3 weeks.
The problem has occurred again since yesterday. The rain measurement quickly increases to sometimes 300 mm.
I tried it with another console. This did not solve it. I also tried it with the wind measurement switched off and then with the soil / moisture measurement switched off. This did not solve it either.

Even with the tipping bucket disconnected, the rain measurement increased considerably.

Do you have any idea what might be going on or does someone recognize this problem?

Brgds,
Oebel

might be a problem with the reed switch
or a short circuit somewhere else (even on the ISS circuit board)

I think it must be the board. I unplugged the whole night the tipping bucket from the ISS.
Counter goes up and counts at this moment 640 mm

Thanks.

Brgds,
Oebel

I would check check the ISS board for a water leak, sometimes the gasket does not seal. Look at back side of board and check the rain socket for moisture.

Hi,

I removed the board from the ISS and looked at it completely. There is nothing to see and it is not damped either.
I have restarted the board insinde my house without anything being connected. Even without a plug from, for example, the rain gauge, the measurement rises again very fast.

The strange thing is that I had already replaced the board because of the same problem that occurred a few weeks earlier.
So, something breaks the board and we do not know what this is.
There is an email from my supplier to Davis support to ask for their advice.

A special problem and I will report what was ultimately the cause and what was Davis’ advice.

Brgds,

Oebel

Are there any AM radio transmitters nearby, or ham radio operators?

No, I don`t think so.

brgds,

Oebel

Davis doesn’t usually have a problem with radio transmitters but it seemed worth to ask :?

Hi,

I am pretty sure I found the cause and that moisture is the problem. After dismantling the board I saw moisture inside the ISS housing. I took the board, which also spontaneously indicated the precipitation without the tipping bucket connected, out of the ISS and took it inside the house without battery to let it discharge. (And let it dry) After a few days I reinstalled the battery and connected the tipping bucket to the board and connected it to the console. It works fine and after a tilt of the tipping bucket, the precipitation shows as it should. I tested a lot. Now I have mounted and connected the board outside again in the ISS. Of course as a test I packed the housing in plastic to exclude moisture. It now works more then 2 days as it should and it rains and the precipitation is measured nicely.

So, anyone with this strange problem, first look inside the ISS for moisture. I thougt also that my ISS board was broken, but it is not.

Brgds,
Oebel