Putting my Vantage Pro 2 on the Internet

I found this website doing a search to resolve a rainfall problem with my Vantage Pro 2 weather station. I have since been reading the posts and since I use

I use the WeatherLink data logger to output the data to my computer running Weather Display software. Once there the data can be exported to any number of external sites. Weather Display is my choice of software, I am not familiar with Meteohub so can’t help there.

Third party solutions have more possibilities than the WeatherLinkIP

Thanks,

I am looking at the WifiLogger and the Meteohub Nano. Will post if I purchase and install. Just doing some research now.

I have the WeatherLinkIP and Meteobridge and if I was looking for a replacement I would select the WifiLogger over the alternatives currently available.

Indeed. I have been using the ‘WiFiLogger’ with my Vantage Pro2 console (can also be used with the Vantage Vue console).

The ‘WiFiLogger’ can send data directly to the following online services (without the need of additional software and/or hardware):

• WeatherLink (at 1 minute interval)
  • Weather Underground (at 1 minute interval)
  • Weather Underground RapidFire (at 3 seconds interval)
  • Personal Weather Station (at 1 minute interval)
  • Weather Cloud (at 10 minutes interval)
  • AWEKAS (at 5 minutes interval)
  • Met Office WOW (at 5 minutes interval)
  • Weather Elements (at 1 minute interval)
  • Citizen Weather Observer Program (at 1 minute interval)

Note: The intervals specified above represent the minimum time between uploads as provided by the ‘WiFiLogger’).

As its name implies, the ‘WiFiLogger’ is a data logger (such as the Davis Instruments WeatherLink Serial Data Logger, WeatherLink USB Data Logger or WeatherLinkIP Data Logger). The ‘WiFiLogger’ fits directly inside a Vantage Pro2 or a Vantage Vue console.

The main advantage of the the ‘WiFiLogger’ is that, unlike the Davis Instruments Data Loggers, it communicates directly with the WiFi network - meaning the console does not need a (serial/USB/network) cable to send its data. Weather Display can be easily setup to capture the data from the WiFi network while the ‘WiFiLogger’ send its data to the online services.

The ‘WiFiLogger’ has proven to be very reliable.

@R_o_B: Can it also send data directly to a personal webserver?

Niko, what do you mean exactly by a ‘personal webserver’? Do you mean an online external private web site? Or do you mean an internal device (inside your home) such as a Synology Network Attached Storage (NAS) DiskStation (or something similar)?

The ‘WiFiLogger’ send its data wirelessly directly to the (home/internal) network router (and not to a specific device such as a computer and/or a DiskStation). If the ‘webserver’ has access to the network, then the ‘webserver’ has access to the data from the ‘WiFiLogger’.

I have a Synology NAS DiskStation that is connected to my home/internal network router (the same home/internal network to which the ‘WiFiLogger’ is wirelessly connected) - the NAS can access the data from the ‘WiFiLogger’ by simply looking at the assigned IP address and the port number of the ‘WiFiLogger’.

The data from the ‘WiFiLogger’ can also be sent to an FTP and/or MQTT server - two files are then produced by the ‘WiFiLogger’: ‘realtime.txt’ and ‘wflexp.json’. Obviously, the ‘webserver’ will need code to extract the data from either of those files.

Unfortunately, I have not tried the FTP/MQTT server option as I had no need for it. :frowning:

If interested in finding more about the FTP/MQTT server option, please, let me know - give me a few days and I could try setting the FTP/MQTT server option and check/test the results… :wink:

Thanks, that’s the function I was thinking of. Upload data by either FTP or HTTP to a server so that it could be used as source data for web page(s), with or without loading to a database. This really does seem to be a well thought out device :slight_smile:

Indeed, not only well designed but also well supported.

Wojciech, the designer and producer of the ‘WiFiLogger’ is actively supporting his ‘creation’ - the other day (on December 25), I asked him if a few ‘appearance/cosmetic’ modifications to the main display screen of the ‘WiFiLogger’ could eventually be made and, two day later (on December 27), I was able to download and install a new file with the suggested modifications added/made to the main display screen. 8O

Yeah, we can agree on that, as i posted back in June "IMHO it’s pretty damn impressive that the guy went from first post to working units delivered in only a couple of months =D> " - and it’s only gotten better since then.

Niko, as I implied in previous messages, Wojciech is an incredible developper, with an excellent product, open to suggestions and with prompt replies to all questions (even if english is not his first language). 8)

Hi all.
Have been looking at this WiFi logger today. Is it easy to set up with Wd?
Does the logger communicate with the computer where Wd software is installed or with the router and Wd talks to it?

Thanks
Steve

No Steve, one needs an engineering degree! :wink:

Just kidding… :slight_smile:

Steve, the ‘WiFiLogger’ (as its name implies) communicates wirelessly with a house router - the ‘WiFiLogger’ does not communicate directly with any software.

The ability for Weather Display to communicate with a router has been designed into the software.

So, once the ‘WiFiLogger’ has been installed inside either a Vantage Pro2 or a Vantage Vue console, some settings need to be made.

Note: The preliminary (first) settings must be made with a WiFi capable device, such as a phone or a tablet. Once those preliminary settings are done, any other settings can be made/changed via a browser.

In order to ensure the full reliability of the ‘WiFiLogger’, I would suggest that the ‘WiFiLogger’ be assigned a fixed/permanent IP address within the home router - this way, if the house router needs to re-boot/re-start (such as after a firmware update or a power interruption), the ‘WiFiLogger’ will be assigned the same IP address.

Niko, for the past two days, my 'WiFiLogger has been FTP exporting/uploading two files to my home/office server (once a minute).

One of the file of the text format and is called ‘realtime.txt’ (contains near-real time data and is using the Cumulus format).

The other file is of the JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) format and is called ‘wflexp.json’ (contains full console data in JSON format - unfortunately, the units of measurement are all fixed Imperial, Fahrenheit, inches, miles-per-hour, inches of mercury). There seems to be 416 values into that JSON data file.

I am re-reading all the messages posted in the forum thread ‘WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi’ on the ‘WXForum.net’ site and might have more information later on (wow, so much stuff and information)! :roll:

Sounds good :smiley: Units are easily converted so that’s no problem.