Problem Weather Display/Ultimeter 2100

#-o #-o

Hello friends I’m new here. I live in Salvador-Bahia-Brasil. Sorry for some errors in my English. I’m setting up my first meteorological station and I’m in trouble. I have a Ultimeter 2100 and a Werther Display softer (V 10.37R Build 05) that communicate via a USB Cable / RS232 at 2400,8e1n. All right when access by the hyper terminal Putty or Tera Term, a perfection between them. It happens that when I connect my WD to the 2100, when I connect them my station starts to send the data and the Wd receives them normally. Then I start to set my 2100 time, date, temperature, humidity, rain and wind. So far so good. It happens that when I adjust the atmospheric pressure to my region, the WD immediately stops and stops receiving the data. Dai I have to restart my 2100 and everything comes back again as described above. This only happens with WD. With Virtual Wearther Station this does not occur. Also using the hyperterminal Tera Term and the Putty does not occur. Has anyone had this problem here before or can you give me a light to solve this problem? Can this be any configuration in my WD? Very grateful and eager for the help of the meteorologist brothers. Strong hug to all!

Hello, and you have found a good source of information, not that it will immediately fix the situation on your station.

I have a 2100 running for years on WD and all it’s updates, so it works OK.

I haven’t made adjustments to the barometric pressure in the adjustments within WD, but do make adjustments to the 2100 itself with the setup sequences and adjustments to that control box and display, directly.

Is this where you make corrections to the pressure, or are you taking whatever number comes out of the 2100 and then, in WD, entering an offset to the barometer reading?

And, just to make sure I understand, if you reboot the computer running WD and restart WD fresh, that it works OK UNTIL you do some sort of adjustment?

The Peet 2100 needs to be outputting (for me at least) the complete data string for WD to extract what it needs to read the data, and on my (quite fast) computer, the little green data box barely flickers, it is on almost all the time, while other stations the data box just pulses once a second, with plenty of time to wait for the next string.

Is your weather computer running WD fast enough to do all these things?

While that alone wouldn’t cause WD to stop, and why it might do that with adjustments to the barometer is not clear to me, it is something that might give a clue to what is at fault.

One last thought for this message. Once my barometer offset is made, I haven’t had to touch it and it has tracked perfectly to within a few one hundredths of an inch of mercury, through very low and very high pressures over the last couple of years.

If you are going to make an offset change within the WD program to tweak the settings, once it is done do you have to keep entering or changing the offset a little?

If you know your adjustment, or what seems to be the right amount, have you tried NOT starting the connection (unplug the cable or whatever to the Peet 2100), start the computer, start WD (it won’t find the station) but go into the adjustment setup part of WD, make the known offset change, and then connect the station?

While it might not figure out what the reason is for WD to not work as you expected it, if it has the correct offset and is communicating and displaying the data, then you’ll at least be functioning.

Let us know if any of this helps. Let us know if you figure out what it is, or if WD’s author is able to assist with something deeper in the interface or workings of WD that we users aren’t aware of.

And if there are parts of this message that you don’t understand what I’m saying, please let me know so I can word it in a different way. Even with English as the first language sometimes I don’t always communicate well, and with your native language not being English, I’m hoping I didn’t confuse you or make assumptions that have not been clear.

By the way, I really like the Peet 2100 and while it doesn’t have solar, and some people have had trouble with the anemometer, I’m a very happy user of their hardware, as old of a design as it is.

Dale

10.37R Build 05 is almost 6 years old.

Niko,
Good point, I wasn’t thinking when I read that, and I know Brian is always chiding us to have the latest version update installed.

I shouldn’t have missed that, and you didn’t. Many hands make light work.

it sounds like the raw barometer reading coming into WD is out of range (and so WD ignores the reading)
you could try adding a barometer offset to WD
you should be able to set WD to show the raw barometer reading…
in WD go to setup, advanced/misc, then tick to log the raw data

then under view, debug info, see if the raw barometer reading shows up?