Moving to New PC - WD Crashing There (SOLVED)

My tired old Dell computer that has faithfully run WD for the past several year is locking up almost randomly. I’m not sure I can resuscitate it successfully so I have used Acronis True Image 2019’s ‘Survival Kit’ to ‘restore’ the Dell to a spare HP.

I successfully upgraded the OS from Win7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro after the ‘restore’. This setup uses VVP to run VPLive, WeatherLink, and WeatherDisplay. I’ve successfully configured all of this software to run on the new machine in Win10 Pro.

From the outset WD has been crashing almost immediately upon loading. I thought the problem was related to processing the thumbnail image displayed on the WD desktop, so I removed those entries from ‘wdisplay.ini’. Although the image no longer flickers on just before the crash, I’ve noticed that whenever a new minute occurs WD crashes. I’ve turned off all ftp functions because I’m still using my unreliable Dell to feed my website.

I can’t figure out where WD is falling down at 00 seconds every minute.

Another oddity is that the WD error log often records ‘out of memory’ at the time of the crash. This is on a 16GB machine with 11+ GB free!

Any chance, Brian, that I could get you to look at my zipped ini, reg, and txt files?

it could be a corrupt image problem or an image that cant be found
you could try as a test deleting the registry setting
wdisplayftp.ini
from the registry (use regedit)
as a test (back that up first via wd’s registry back up…see under action)

then see if it still crashes…and if so I will check on your settings

That did it, Brian! WD’s now ticking away in its new home. I’m not quite ready to perform a complete transplant yet, but I now know that when the time comes it won’t be too difficult.

What do you think went awry with the registry’s ‘wdisplayftp.ini’?

Tomorrow I may investigate further by adding back ‘wdisplayftp.reg’ and then culling parts of it until I find the offending entry or entries.

Thanks again for all you do for us, Brian.

Cheers!

it might have been a file/directory/path that does not exist on the new pc

Actually I’ve isolated the entries that have been crashing the HP-DSS’s WD:
“show vp ticker”=“yes
and
“use forecast for VP forecast”=“yes
“use forecast for VP forecast scroll main”=“yes

When changed to:
“show vp ticker”=“no
and
“use forecast for VP forecast”=“no
“use forecast for VP forecast scroll main”=“no”.

I’m not sure why this is happening, but it’s reliable and repeatable. Any one of these entries as ‘yes’ crashes WD on the minute.

Thanks for your help, Brian. :slight_smile:

I’ve tentatively finished the transplant from the old thermally sensitive Dell to the HP.

Working OK so far, and hopefully I won’t need to restart a locked Dell several times a day now. For kicks I’ve purchased the exact same model Dell used on e-bay which is missing the HD but reportedly boots into the BIOS setup. I’ll try swapping the HD’s from the current Dell into the new one to see if and how it works. If it does, I’ll upgrade it to Win10 Pro as well.

The CPU temps on the HP have risen to 120-130