WD on thin client with EWF C drive, data to D drive

Hello,

I was contemplating WD on a thin client C drive (OS is Xp embedded) , the C drive is EWF locked, installed programs only write to a memory overlay of the C drive image, all changes are lost next restart.

For retained data I am putting the datafile, logfile and webfile directories to a usb stick as D drive and configure WD accordingly.

Why do it this way? Low energy costs, no harddisks, installation on C drive is exactly as set up every restart, unaffected by power loss except during a write to the flash disk.
Hoping to write to the thumbstick once a minute as they wear out. Downside is restricted amount of of ram and C drive space but great for applications you want to run all the time without using a full blown PC.

Assuming the install and configuration all is ok, the C drive is committed and locked down. Apart from the log ,data and web files on the stick are there any other files WD may update on C drive in course of normal running it needs to be permanent?

regards Harry

yes , the wdisplay.ini settings file :frowning:

Thanks for the reply Brian.

I guess changing from EWF to FBWF would enable making the INI file persistent but as everything is ups based I think copying the file to the stick on shutdown and back to C drive on startup will suffice.

regards Harry.

that might work
the windows registry is also used for internet settings
what weather station type?