Saratoga Base-World template switching from WU-forecast to DS-forecast

Today, 02-Dec-2018, I’ve made the switch in the Base-World distribution to default to using DarkSky.net as the forecast source (from WeatherUnderground WU-forecast) since WU is:

1. no longer issuing API keys and
  2. deprecating their current API at the end of 2018.

While WU has said they’ll offer a replacement API to PWS data submitters, that API is still vaporware at this time and it just makes sense to bite the bullet and switch to a different worldwide, multilingual source for the Base-World template distribution.

The 02-Dec-2018 update available from the update tool page includes a Settings.php with WU data removed and DarkSky data settings included. It also includes the current release of DS-forecast.php/DS-forecast-lang.php scripts.
For Base-*, an updated check-fetch-times.php, ajax-dashboard.php and wxforecast.php are included to support using DS-forecast.php in the template set.

Please note that the DS-forecast.php has a different method to specify forecast locations (by Name and latitude,longitude).

For those with currently working WU API keys, update ALL the files from the update tool page except Settings.php and your WU-forecast.php will continue to work as long as the WU-API is still available. You can add the needed values to your existing Settings.php (just commenting out the $SITE[‘fcstscript’] = ‘DS-forecast.php’; and $SITE[‘fcstorg’] = ‘DarkSky’; variables) and WU will continue to work on your site. See the Settings-DarkSky-README.txt for the variables to add to Settings.php.

I’ll continue to follow the discussions at the WU API thread, and if the replacement WU-API provides 7-day, multilingual forecasts, I’ll do an update to WU-forecast.php to use it – if not, the WU-forecast.php script will simply be deprecated.

Best regards,
Ken

I commented out the 2 variables and it works a treat…thanks Ken for all you do!